Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Website functionality in Safari is deteriorating

A number of websites now seem to be not functioning with Safari. In particular these seem to be where the links are embedded into images rather than hyperlinks on text. I have four websites that I use everyday now that do not work with Safari. Whereas they have been working in the last three months, they have now ceased to work. One of these in particular as an example is "spikizi" which when you go to the site, on its landing page it advises that it does not support Safari and to use Chrome instead. I am not downloading Chrome onto my iMac, but am having to use Mozilla Firefox instead. I am using iMac 2011 build, with High Sierra 10.13.6. I cannot update to a newer OS as High Sierra is the last update for this machine. The machine is perfect, like new, and works for everything else perfectly, except Safari. I have no need to change it.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Apr 24, 2023 6:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2023 10:33 AM

The problems you describe are going to occur with increasing frequency, as websites continue to demand newer browsers. Those newer browsers often require newer operating systems, which in turn often require newer Macs.

That story will never end. Fortunately browsers themselves are becoming obsolete, and will — eventually — fall out of favor.

... on its landing page it advises that it does not support Safari and to use Chrome instead.

Pardon my language but the heck with that idea. Anyone willing to infest a Mac with Google's garbage should not be using a Mac at all.

In the meantime you may want to consider using a browser that continues to be updated, such as Brave:

https://brave.com/

It is updated routinely and will work just fine on your twelve year old Mac.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2023 10:33 AM in response to PhoenixHologram

The problems you describe are going to occur with increasing frequency, as websites continue to demand newer browsers. Those newer browsers often require newer operating systems, which in turn often require newer Macs.

That story will never end. Fortunately browsers themselves are becoming obsolete, and will — eventually — fall out of favor.

... on its landing page it advises that it does not support Safari and to use Chrome instead.

Pardon my language but the heck with that idea. Anyone willing to infest a Mac with Google's garbage should not be using a Mac at all.

In the meantime you may want to consider using a browser that continues to be updated, such as Brave:

https://brave.com/

It is updated routinely and will work just fine on your twelve year old Mac.

Feb 18, 2024 3:09 AM in response to PhoenixHologram

Many websites face issues with Safari as they favor newer browsers and operating systems. Your iMac, running High Sierra, can't upgrade further. While some sites suggest using Chrome, you resist due to preferences. This trend may persist, but the story might change. Browsers are evolving, and alternatives exist. For now, you must be using Firefox but you need to use some other ways. In the meantime, opting for a regularly updated browser could be a practical approach to ensure compatibility and a smoother online experience, even if it means navigating away from Safari. Thus, you can use either brave or microsoft edge as they are the best alternatives instead of chrome.

[Edited by Moderator]

Website functionality in Safari is deteriorating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.