MS Office Home & Student OfficeSetup.exe will not open

Just purchased new MacBook M2. OS updated to latest Ventura 13.3.1

Went to Office setup, downloaded product using key, and got OfficeSetup.exe. Problem is file will not open or launch.

Where do I go from here?

MacBook Air, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 24, 2023 2:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2023 2:15 PM

Well, it seems unlikely that you got a file ending in .exe from Apple as such a file won't run on a Mac. If you bought the software through Apple, you would have downloaded it from the App Store and wouldn't have needed a product key as far as I know.

But, if you have a product key, what you would need to do is go to the Microsoft website and download the software for a Mac, not a PC. You might start here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/download-and-install-or-reinstall-microsoft-365-or-office-2021-on-a-pc-or-mac-4414eaaf-0478-48be-9c42-23adc4716658

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2023 2:15 PM in response to Panteralee

Well, it seems unlikely that you got a file ending in .exe from Apple as such a file won't run on a Mac. If you bought the software through Apple, you would have downloaded it from the App Store and wouldn't have needed a product key as far as I know.

But, if you have a product key, what you would need to do is go to the Microsoft website and download the software for a Mac, not a PC. You might start here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/download-and-install-or-reinstall-microsoft-365-or-office-2021-on-a-pc-or-mac-4414eaaf-0478-48be-9c42-23adc4716658

Apr 24, 2023 2:38 PM in response to Panteralee

As IdrisSeabright noted, an .exe file is useless. That's a Windows program/app.

The key is not dead. You can always use your key to install the software, which you couldn't have possibly done yet since you haven't acquired a Mac installer. A download of a Windows version installer is just that. A download. It doesn't count for anything since you haven't attempted to activate the suite with the key yet.

Click on my link above and download the April 11, 202316.72 (23040900) installer. Assuming you didn't purchase the Teams version, it would be the Office suite (without Teams) link. Or, since I just copied the link into my post, you can click this one.

Edit: Heh-heh! You posted again while I was typing. Good to hear you've solved the issue.

MS Office Home & Student OfficeSetup.exe will not open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.