Microsoft Office won't open with latest 13.5

Since Ventura 13.5 has been installed on my 2023 Mac Mini M2, Excel and sometimes word will not open with something called mso99 apparently to blame. Microsoft have been unable after about an hour working with me to find a reason, and it is now impossible to install the software.

Am I alone in this?

Mac mini, 13.5

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 6:01 AM

5 replies

Aug 7, 2023 6:36 AM in response to gjltd

The only supported Microsoft software on Ventura 13.5 is the current subscription Microsoft 365 and associated applications for that license, or Office 2019 or 2021 for Mac as a single-purchase. The subscription and single-purchase licenses and applications are not interchangeable. Due to the age of Office 2019, it may have some issues in Ventura…

Are you using One Drive and attempting to use Microsoft applications when you have no Internet connection, or not signed into One Drive?

I have Office 2021 for Mac installed (without using One Drive) and it works any time that I launch version 16.75 of Word, Excel, or Powerpoint.

Aug 7, 2023 6:52 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks for this.

Strangely Word is now working, as of about an hour ago, having done about the 5th download and install of the Microsoft_365_and_Office_16.75.23070901_BusinessPro_Installer

In fact I am using a Microsoft 365 business account and trying to load Excel 16.75.2. I have spent hours today on this and am getting nowhere, even downloading and apparently installing the software. The only clue I have is this mso99 as a 'crashed module' in the Microsoft excel error report, so the mystery remains!

Microsoft Office won't open with latest 13.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.