Can't get my AirPort Time Capsule to backup files from my MacBook Air

Recently had some major issues with my MacBook Air, so I had to wipe it and start from scratch. At the same time, my home WiFi went bad and I had to replace the modem and router. Now I'm back up and running fine, but have not been able to reinitiate backups to my AirPort Time Capsule.

I am running Time Machine and the message says "Connecting to backup disk...", but it eventually times out and says it will try again in an hour. I saw someone else had a similar issue, so I followed the directions provided by Bob Timmons in this forum. I did a hard reset, powered off, connected ethernet cable, powered back up, opened AirPort Utility, created a new network name, password. And everything looks good..in the AirPort Utility, the internet has a green dot and my AirPort Time Capsule has a green dot. I started time machine and made sure my MacBook is on the same wifi network as the Time Capsule, but it's not backing up for some reason. Any suggestions?

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 3:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2023 10:28 AM

Well, let's just say that Time Machine backups to a Time Capsule are not exactly the most reliable way to back up your Mac.

Apple never solved the corruption issue, which usually occurs after 12-18 months or more of backups have been stored. Not all users have been affected, but my guess is that 30-40% of Time Capsule owners have experienced this problem.

Your only option at this point.....if you want to continue to use the Time Capsule......is to erase the Time Capsule hard drive and start over again with a new backup.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2023 10:28 AM in response to TexasThor

Well, let's just say that Time Machine backups to a Time Capsule are not exactly the most reliable way to back up your Mac.

Apple never solved the corruption issue, which usually occurs after 12-18 months or more of backups have been stored. Not all users have been affected, but my guess is that 30-40% of Time Capsule owners have experienced this problem.

Your only option at this point.....if you want to continue to use the Time Capsule......is to erase the Time Capsule hard drive and start over again with a new backup.

Apr 26, 2023 11:51 AM in response to Bob Timmons

My Time Capsule is 11 years old, so your response answered that question. I have two final questions if you have a minute...

1. I currently utilize about 350gb of storage, so what brand/type of USB device do you recommend as you've said you haven't had any issues in 12+ years?
  2. When you do your backups are you using the Time Machine functionality in the mac or are you just dragging/copying files?

thanks.

Apr 25, 2023 5:19 PM in response to TexasThor

Click on the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the Mac's screen

Click on Open Time Machine Preferences, or it mean say Time Machine Settings....depending on the operating system that is installed on your Mac

Click on Add or Remove Disk

Select the current backup disk....likely named "Data" unless you have changed the name of the drive

Click Remove Disk

Close the windows

Restart your Mac

Go through the same process as above except this time you want to select "Data' as the backup disk and then click Use Disk

Close the windows and wait to see if Time Machine can back up now. The backup is going to take longer than normal because Time Machine has not backed up for some time.

Apr 26, 2023 8:36 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hey Bob, thanks for the quick and detailed response. I followed the steps exactly but did not have any success. In case I made a mistake, I did it a second time, and still no success. I removed the backup disk reference in Time Machine, restarted the Mac, selected Data but all it did was continue to try.

It's strange as all the lights are green on Airport Utility and I'm fairly certain it can see the backup disk as it's saying 1.52TB available, which I don't see how it could know that if it weren't connected. I didn't mess with the Airport Utility configurations and just let that all get set automatically. I can't help but think it's one minor option or switch that is blocking the backup.

Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks.

Apr 26, 2023 8:42 AM in response to TexasThor

The next troubleshooting step is to check the integrity of the backup file.

Hold down the option key on your Mac while you click on the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the Mac's screen

Select Verify Backups and run the check

The process might take anywhere from 10-60 minutes or more to complete depending on how much data is stored on the Time Capsule disk.

You will be notified on screen when the check has completed, or if the check cannot be completed.

Post back with the exact text of any notifications that appear.

Apr 26, 2023 10:09 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hey Bob - I ran the check and now have this notification...

Time Machine detected that your backups on "Data" can not be reliably restored. Time Machine must erase your existing backup history and start a new backup to correct this. Then two buttons - Remind Me Tomorrow or Erase Backup History.

I'm guessing this is the root of the issue, even though it's never given me any indication of this.

Luckily I had another backup stored through a cloud service, but if I were relying on this one, I'd be very out of luck. Any idea what caused this and how to avoid in the future? I assume I don't have any choice now but to erase the backup? I'll await your guidance. Thanks.

Apr 26, 2023 10:37 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hey Bob - Thanks again for a quick and expert response. I am scrubbing the Airport Time Capsule, but not even sure if it pays to use it anymore based on what you shared. I backup my machine using a CrashPlan Service which has been dependable, but i just like a second option. Is there something more dependable for Mac local backups than the time capsule?

Also, you seem to know a lot about Macs...wish I had your expertise when I recently had to go to the local Genius bar here in Dallas. They were so non committal that I left without any confidence. Sure enough, the direction they gave me was inaccurate and I wound up having to wipe my Mac and start over. Now I can barely find things, and it seems like in some cases, my photos have been duplicated and moved. You could sell your services as a Mac consultant!!!

Apr 26, 2023 11:03 AM in response to TexasThor

Not sure how old the Time Capsule might be, but if it is 6-7+.....I would not store any data on the Time Capsule that I could not afford to lose.

The cheapest, fastest, simplest and most reliable way to back up using Time Machine is connect a USB drive directly to the Mac....a "local" backup.

Not that convenient with a laptop, but you could backup maybe once a week or something like that. In 12+ years, I have never had a problem using Time Machine with this type of backup.

Backups to a "network" drive like the Time Capsule are a lot more complicated with more chances for errors to occur in the process.

Not sure about the issue with your Mac, but in general the Genius types are pretty good at what they do. It's a hike from Dallas, but the guys at Hardin Computer in Arlington are really good at what they do.

Thanks for the nice words.

Apr 26, 2023 11:57 AM in response to TexasThor

so what brand/type of USB device do you recommend as you've said you haven't had any issues in 12+ years?

I have used Lacie drives for many many years and they have been flawless. I'm sure there are other good brands as well.

When you do your backups are you using the Time Machine functionality in the mac or are you just dragging/copying files?

I use both Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner for backups to USB drives. I still have a Time Capsule and use that as well with Time Machine, but mainly to answer questions on this forum.

Can't get my AirPort Time Capsule to backup files from my MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.