You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad Pro 11 SUDDENLY not charging with USB-c to USB-c cable but WILL charge with USB-a to USB-c cable

There is at least one other thread from 2021 about this problem that appeared to have no resolution, but there is no way to piggy back on that thread (which is frustrating).

All of a sudden, several of my charging stations have stopped charging my Ipad Pro 11. The one thing in common is a USB-c to USB-c cable being used. I have 3 different USB-c to USB-c cables attached to wall chargers. They all worked until YESTERDAY.

I have a couple USB-a to USB-c charging cables, and those work just fine. (Unless I had it plugged in with a USB-c to USB-c cable just prior... then it won't work for a period of time... or a number of unplug/plug in repetitions. Then suddenly the USB-a to USB-c charger will start working again.) These can be plugged in to wall chargers or battery packs, but not into some USB-A ports on my computers, USB charging stations. Only the battery packs with buttons to press to start the charging will work). Haven't tried any USB-A ports on wall adapters because I don't have any around.

It seems like something wonky is happening SUDDENLY with the USB-c to USB-c cables... and whatever it is can mess up the Ipad's ability to charge correctly with a USB-a to USB-c cable (temporarily).

What the heck is going on? And if this was a problem back in 2021... with hundreds of people saying ME TOO, why didn't this get resolved or explained?

I just ordered a new Ipad because of this problem (before I found that the USB-a to USB-c cables will work (eventually with enough futzing) and before I found this thread), and I'm going to be pretty ticked if I just wasted $1100 for a new Ipad on a problem that should have been resolved a long time ago.

I've tried restarting the Ipad. I've tried closing every open app and then restarting the Ipad. I did a factory reset on the Ipad. No effect with any of those.

I updated to the most recent IOS (16.4.1) with no effect.

HELP!?!?!

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 4:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 9:04 PM

Thanks... all my charging solutions have worked fine for 5 years... then suddenly poof... usb-c to usb-c stopped. usb-a to usb-c isn't working consistently either. I suspect a port problem as well.

Thanks for the explanation that this is a peer support community and not an apple support forum. I didn't realize that when I posted. I plan to take the old iPad in to the store to see if they can fix it, but some of the older posts I found tried this to no avail, so I'm not terribly hopeful. Thanks for replying!

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 25, 2023 9:04 PM in response to Kastaspella

Thanks... all my charging solutions have worked fine for 5 years... then suddenly poof... usb-c to usb-c stopped. usb-a to usb-c isn't working consistently either. I suspect a port problem as well.

Thanks for the explanation that this is a peer support community and not an apple support forum. I didn't realize that when I posted. I plan to take the old iPad in to the store to see if they can fix it, but some of the older posts I found tried this to no avail, so I'm not terribly hopeful. Thanks for replying!

Apr 25, 2023 9:18 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for replying... I did try all that stuff, and the problem is consistent across 3 different charging cables/power sources that I have used daily for the past several years. It just 'quit working' yesterday, and the only common denominator is the iPad itself.

My USB-A to USB-C cables will work off of Anker charging blocks/packs, but will not work off a USB-A ports on any of my computers, Powerstrips with USB-A ports, etc. It has to be something with the iPad itself. Most likely the port. ALL of my charging cables/power sources worked fine until yesterday... so something got fried.

I will definitely take it in to Apple and see if they can fix it. I ordered a new one that will be here tomorrow, so at least I can still do what I need to do. :)

Thanks again for replying.

Apr 25, 2023 9:12 PM in response to jaedyn257

Doesn't work consistently, so there is still a problem somewhere - most likely in the port itself. Even since I made this post the 'workaround' has started to fail. Luckily, my new one will be here tomorrow, but I still hope Apple can actually fix this problem. A blown port (if that's what it is) shouldn't permanently disable the device. I live super super remotely, and didn't want to wait until I could get to a city/apple store, then most likely have them need to send it out for repair, etc. If they can fix it, I'll keep it as a backup for the new one that I ordered that is arriving tomorrow (6 days earlier than they estimated I could get it). So I'm super happy about that.

Thanks for responding. :)

Dec 28, 2023 9:30 AM in response to supachok38

I think this must be a factory problem. Both my daughters have iPad Pro’s 11 that they got on December 24 of 2022 and on both ipads the port fried right about the one year mark, December 2023, literally a couple weeks from one another. This feels like too much of a coincidence as my older daughter is incredibly careful with her iPad and there’s not even a scratch on it but if you don’t have AppleCare, you’re essentially out of luck as I have found out.

Feb 20, 2024 4:07 AM in response to nola39

I have bought 2 iPad Pro 11’s in the last 18 months & both have had the exact same problem, just completely stopped charging one day out of the blue. Or if a charger does work on it, it takes hours to get to 2% because it will switch from charging to not charging. I simply went back to a normal iPad, it turned me off the pro.

Apr 25, 2023 4:53 PM in response to nola39

As described, your iPad is not charging when using USB PD (Power Delivery) - this being implemented over USB-C. As you may be aware, USB PD can charge your iPad at its maximum supported charging rate (~20W).

When using USB PD, the source (Power Adapter) and sink (your iPad) actively negotiate a mutually supported power profile - this using a higher voltage than the standard 5V USB. If the USB PD handshake should fail, or if a mutually supported power profile cannot be agreed, the Power Adapter should fall-back to 5V.

When using a USB Type-A power source, your iPad can only charge using the standard USB 5V bus - the maximum charging rate being limited to ~12W (2.4A @5V).

As you are reportedly having difficulty with all USB-C Power Adapters (effectively substituting the Power Adapter), the are two other points of potential issue - these being the USB-C/USB-C cable (that incorporate active electronics) or the iPad itself.

So as to eliminate a software issue, perform a forced-restart of your iPad:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

If the problem persists, having already updated to iPadOS 16.4.1, you may need to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support - and request a remote diagnostic test. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Apr 25, 2023 4:41 PM in response to nola39

If your usb-c cables aren’t Apple certified they may not work on your iPad. You may have also fried a port on whatever you’re using to source the power (outlet, computer). A problem with a lot of Me Too’s isn’t guaranteed to show up to Apple because this is a community where people help people the only way it would have been brought to apples attention is if all those people had reported it to Apple support, not the community webpage.

Apr 26, 2023 1:31 AM in response to nola39

Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter/Source rated at 12W or greater to reliably charge. 5W Power Adapters intended for charging iPhone are inadequate to charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow.

Be aware that most computer USB ports cannot source sufficient power to charge an iPad. Unless explicitly designed for charging connected devices, computer USB ports are typically limited to 0.5-1.0A @5V (i.e., 2.5-5.0W).

If you continue to experience difficulties when using an appropriate Power Adapter of 12W or greater, you might seek assistance directly from from Apple Support and request a remote diagnostic test - although the test may be inconclusive.

You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

If pursuing repair, for qualifying devices, Apple generally exchange an iPad for a reconditioned device of the same model and specification. The exchange cost is exactly the same as repair - but is considerably faster. If outside of warranty, the flat-rate repair cost is c.60% of the “as new” cost. You can verify repair cost here:

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

Apr 25, 2023 9:09 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for replying. Good explanation of what you think might be happening. Very similar to a very smart friend of mine and what he said. He believes it's a port problem.

Even since I posted this earlier, the USB-a to USB-c charging has become flakey, and will just 'shut off' randomly.

I do plan on taking it in to Apple to see if they can fix it. :) Then I'll keep it as a backup for the new one that will arrive tomorrow. Can't live without my iPad anymore.

I also plan on trying to get this on Apple's radar. Or at least add my voice if they already know about it.

I appreciate your response and input.

Feb 12, 2024 9:38 AM in response to nola39

Hi @nola39 - did you have any luck with Apple on this.

I've had the identical issue withh my new iPhone 15, and found exactly the same frim last year with my work's iPad and myt homepod. All of them will charge on Magsafe and USB-A to USB-C. But none of them with USB-C to USB-C, even if it's using the same source as the USB-A to C cable's plugged into. NB. These are apple original cables, so it's not that.

There seem's to be some issue with the handshake with USB-PD, and not agreeing the power to draw. (Given USB-A to C is't using this).

Apple software support are blaming it on Hardware, Harware support on Software. And no one seems to know why?

Ipad Pro 11 SUDDENLY not charging with USB-c to USB-c cable but WILL charge with USB-a to USB-c cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.