Kids email address/family sharing

I created iCloud email addresses for my kids when they were younger which I use for family sharing and they use for email.

They are now teenagers and I would like to change their email addresses to something more age appropriate/professional.

Is there a good way to do this? Should I deactivate their old email addresses and start new?

iPhone X

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 8:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 8:54 PM

Have a look at this support article --> Add and manage email aliases for iCloud Mail on iCloud.com - Apple Support - "An email alias is an email address that conceals your actual email address from a recipient. An alias can help you manage the email you receive, and monitor the sources of unwanted messages. You can both send and receive email from an email alias using Mail on iCloud.com.

You can't change their primary iCloud address. If you create new accounts for them, they will lose access to items purchased under the old account. You can get around this a bit by adding the new accounts to Family Sharing too but you may run up against a total limit of 6 Apple IDs.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2023 8:54 PM in response to KiwiMish

Have a look at this support article --> Add and manage email aliases for iCloud Mail on iCloud.com - Apple Support - "An email alias is an email address that conceals your actual email address from a recipient. An alias can help you manage the email you receive, and monitor the sources of unwanted messages. You can both send and receive email from an email alias using Mail on iCloud.com.

You can't change their primary iCloud address. If you create new accounts for them, they will lose access to items purchased under the old account. You can get around this a bit by adding the new accounts to Family Sharing too but you may run up against a total limit of 6 Apple IDs.

Apr 25, 2023 9:02 PM in response to KiwiMish

That would certainly be a viable solution. For convenience you can use several email accounts at one time with the Mail application on devices. I have two displayed on my iPhone.

There are two ways you can set up an email account in the Mail app on your iOS device—automatically or manually. Learn which option is best for you.

Add an email account to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

Apr 25, 2023 8:56 PM in response to Limnos

Yes, I thought I might be opening up a can of worms if I try to change their email address. The main reason I want to change their email is because they are looking for jobs and their current email address is too babyish.. do you think it's a good idea just to create a different one on gmail, (for example) and leave their iCloud as is?

Kids email address/family sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.