how do i stop apps from auto loading on my macbook pro

How do I stop apps from auto loading on my MacBook pro... and when they do, how do I determine if they're Apple generated or not?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 10:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2023 8:14 PM

loveMacs Said:

"Great tip, thanks for the lesson on the proper way to uninstall unwanted apps. Have you experienced having apps that just appear... I wonder how that can happen without my permission and if there's a way to prevent it?"

-------

App Just Adding On:

I've seen it occur, firsthand. Why? Because it was part of a promotion that came about when installing the app. So, deselect certain items, when installing apps.

Scan with Malwarebytes for Mac:

Start with running a scan for malware, using Malwarebytes for Mac and remove what is found. Perhaps something was installed that made this occur. Remove what is found from the quarantine. Malware is short for: Malicious Software, which makes you computer act in a mislead manor.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstalle
13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2023 8:14 PM in response to loveMacs

loveMacs Said:

"Great tip, thanks for the lesson on the proper way to uninstall unwanted apps. Have you experienced having apps that just appear... I wonder how that can happen without my permission and if there's a way to prevent it?"

-------

App Just Adding On:

I've seen it occur, firsthand. Why? Because it was part of a promotion that came about when installing the app. So, deselect certain items, when installing apps.

Scan with Malwarebytes for Mac:

Start with running a scan for malware, using Malwarebytes for Mac and remove what is found. Perhaps something was installed that made this occur. Remove what is found from the quarantine. Malware is short for: Malicious Software, which makes you computer act in a mislead manor.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstalle

Apr 28, 2023 4:08 PM in response to loveMacs

loveMacs Said:

"how do i stop apps from auto loading on my macbook pro: Hello again...'LeadChange' just loaded itself on my MacBook Pro. I got info on the app and the kind is 'Application (Intel)'. So I still don't know how this happens and my questions now are:"

-------

Uninstalling Unwanted Software:

I'm sure it didn't just load itself. It may be a plugin, or an add-on from another application, upon installation. So, some thoughts based on your two questions...

Q1. "How do I Uninstall this app (I need direction on obtaining an Uninstaller)"

A1. A few ideas...

• Browse for an Uninstaller:
  1. Right Click: on [the application]
  2. Select: Show Package Contents
  3. Browse: for an uninstaller (probably called "uninstall.app")

• Contact the Developer:

Opening out about this app, see if there is a Help menu within the app(not the top menu bar) to click on, seeing if it provides their a Contact Us eMail address for getting ahold of Customer Support. Ask them how to uninstall it.

• Scan with Malwarebytes for Mac:

See my above reply. Malwarebytes is an application created by longtime users of these Apple forums. It is the only reliable Security Software for a Mac. So,...

1. Install: Malwarebytes for Mac
  2. Run: a scan
  3. Remove: items from the quarantine
  4. Uninstall: Malwarebytes for Mac
  5. Restart: the Mac

• Single Out this User:

Create a new administrator user, seeing if this is seen while logged into it. It will take a few moments to set the user up, but see if it pops up.

• Make Read & Write:

Find the application's icon (probably in Applications menu), then perform the following.

1. Right click: on the app
  2. Select: Get Info
  3. Unlock: the lock (bottom-right corner of window)
  4. Expand: Sharing & Permissions (very bottom)
  5. Select: "Read & Write" for "system"
  6. Run: the uninstaller
  7. Move: the app to the trash.

---

Q2. "How do I Prevent installations like this from happening."

A1. Create and Restore from a Backup: Did you ever back up your Mac using Time Machine Backup? If so, then restore your Mac to a backup prior to all of this. If not, then take this as a learning experience, knowing to always create a Time Machine backup every so often. That way, you can have something to restore your Mac to, should anything go wrong in the future after an install.

Apr 25, 2023 10:33 PM in response to loveMacs

loveMacs Said:

"How do I stop apps from auto loading on my MacBook pro... and when they do, how do I determine if they're Apple generated or not?"

-------

Troubleshooting Automatic Login Apps:

A. First check. the list of Login Items:

1. Go To: System Preferences
  2. Select: Users & Groups
  3. Click: This user name
  4. Click: Login Items
  5. Select: Uneeded items.
  6. Click: “-“ button

B. Determining who Installed it:

Unfortunately, as of this reply, there is no way to determine when nor why a particular an item was added to the list.

Apr 28, 2023 2:15 PM in response to loveMacs

Hello again...

"LeadChange" just loaded itself on my MacBook Pro. I got info on the app and the kind is "Application (Intel)". So I still don't know how this happens and my questions now are:

1. How do I Uninstall this app (I need direction on obtaining an Uninstaller) and
  2. How do I Prevent installations like this from happening.

May 4, 2023 10:50 PM in response to loveMacs

loveMacs Said:

"how do i stop apps from auto loading on my macbook pro: […]I no longer back up to a Time Machine (I need to purchase a new one—and I plan to do that next week). Thanks for being so generous in sharing your expertise!!!

———-

You are welcome.

For thought…

Ridding of this Info Using a Fresh Install:

If this were me, I’d, reinstall it anew my Mac anew. Here is how I would do so…

1. Back up my Mac (by creating a Time Machine Backup)
  2. Format the drive accordingly
  3. Reinstall the macOS anew
  4. Use Migration Assistant to restore certain info from the TMB I just created.

That should rid of quite a few things. Reply back, if you need more assistance with performing this.

Apr 26, 2023 7:58 PM in response to loveMacs

loveMacs Said:

"Thank you for this, @TheLittles. However there is nothing listed in the Login Items. An example of an App that just appeared on my MBP is: 'LeadChange' and I deleted it from my apps folder and emptied my trash. Any further suggestions? Thanks!"

-------

You are welcome.

Reinstall, then Uninstall:

If you are looking to remove it, then on some apps you need an uninstaller. So, reinstall it, removing it this time with an uninstaller. Security Software and Microsoft Office are pure examples of apps that require the use of an uninstaller. Just dragging it to the Trash keeps caches laying about.

May 4, 2023 6:27 PM in response to TheLittles

Lots for me to digest, and once again, I can't thank you enough for your patience and detailed help.

Here's my latest, just FYI:

I've just experienced "LeadChange" downloading itself on my MBP and I now realize it always happens when I'm on "YouTube". I'm using DuckDuckGo app with my Safari app.

I have had Malwarebytes downloaded on my MBP since Feb 2023 (and that doesn't seem to be blocking this uninvited/unwanted app... and I no longer back up to a Time Machine (I need to purchase a new one—and I plan to do that next week).

Thanks for being so generous in sharing your expertise!!!

how do i stop apps from auto loading on my macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.