unable to hear when making a call until I make it on speaker

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 10:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 10:27 PM

Hello,

The second article below gives some steps you can try before needing to contact Apple Support for future assistance and possible repair. I also want to mention something that happened to me making me believe my iPhone had the same issue. I was using some Bluetooth headphones but didn't have them in my ears or their charging case so the phone call audio was automatically directing to them.

Set up and use Bluetooth accessories on iPhone - Apple Support

"Bypass your Bluetooth device for calls

To use the iPhone receiver or speaker for calls, do any of the following:

• Answer a call by tapping the iPhone screen.
  • During a call, tap Audio, then choose iPhone or Speaker Phone.
  • Turn off the Bluetooth device, unpair it, or move out of range.
  • Go to Settings , tap Bluetooth, then turn off Bluetooth."

If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker - Apple Support

"If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker

If you can't hear a person's voice clearly, hear crackling, hear static, or have issues with sound quality, learn what to do."

I hope this is helpful.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2023 10:27 PM in response to elanchezian

Hello,

The second article below gives some steps you can try before needing to contact Apple Support for future assistance and possible repair. I also want to mention something that happened to me making me believe my iPhone had the same issue. I was using some Bluetooth headphones but didn't have them in my ears or their charging case so the phone call audio was automatically directing to them.

Set up and use Bluetooth accessories on iPhone - Apple Support

"Bypass your Bluetooth device for calls

To use the iPhone receiver or speaker for calls, do any of the following:

• Answer a call by tapping the iPhone screen.
  • During a call, tap Audio, then choose iPhone or Speaker Phone.
  • Turn off the Bluetooth device, unpair it, or move out of range.
  • Go to Settings , tap Bluetooth, then turn off Bluetooth."

If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker - Apple Support

"If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker

If you can't hear a person's voice clearly, hear crackling, hear static, or have issues with sound quality, learn what to do."

I hope this is helpful.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.