How to identify and avoid iCloud payment scam emails?

I keep getting email messages from “iCloud” telling me my payment method on file is not usable. Also telling me my storage is nearly full - which is not correct. I suspect these emails to be Scam. Please advise me. Creegan

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 26, 2023 8:08 AM

5 replies

Apr 26, 2023 8:13 AM in response to mecreegan

Hard to offer any advice, without any context at all. Can you post an example of these emails? Redact any personal details if you do.

Apple will always address you by the full name they have on file for your iCloud account. They will never use just your email address or "Dear Customer" or "Kind sir" etc...

How much free storage space do you have exactly? click here ➜ Check your iCloud storage on any device - Apple Support

Have you verified the card added for payment is functional and can be charged, and has not expired? click here ➜ If you need to change or update your Apple ID payment method - Apple Support

May 30, 2024 7:29 AM in response to Uppereastside24

Uppereastside24 wrote:

Should I give iCloud my credit card info

That depends on who's asking for it.

Your payment info should already be part of your Apple ID, and iCloud can use it from there.

There is no need and no way to specifically give it to iCloud directly.

Can you explain exactly what is happening?

Are you receiving text messages or emails asking for your payment info?

Have you verified the card added for payment is functional and can be charged, and has not expired? click here ➜ If you need to change or update your Apple ID payment method - Apple Support

How to identify and avoid iCloud payment scam emails?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.