Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery Consumption with WiFi, Bluetooth & Cellular Data Turned On Together

Is there a significant battery consumption in iOS devices when WiFi, Bluetooth & Cellular Data are all turned on together?

When I’m at home, I switch off my cellular data & turn on WiFi. While I’m going out, I switch on my Cellular Data & turn off WiFi.

I have no use case for Bluetooth so it’s always off. Will turning it on help FindMy service for better location sharing? Or it’s not needed & will simply consume battery?

Thanks!

Posted on Apr 26, 2023 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2024 11:10 AM

This is a very lacking answer. If you leave Bluetooth on it will receive beacons from many other Apple devices and some non-Apple devices depending on the apps installed.

Things like Air Tags (not just your own), Tiles, etc. will all receive beacons on Bluetooth and then cause the cellular radio to wake up and transmit the information back to Apple, Tile, etc.

Leaving Bluetooth on all the tile in a larger metro like area will for sure drain your battery faster. This is VERY noticeable. If you have a weak cellular signal the cellular radio will transmit with a higher power level. As much as people would like to believe this has a negligible effect, it can be a serious battery drain.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2024 11:10 AM in response to Phil0124

This is a very lacking answer. If you leave Bluetooth on it will receive beacons from many other Apple devices and some non-Apple devices depending on the apps installed.

Things like Air Tags (not just your own), Tiles, etc. will all receive beacons on Bluetooth and then cause the cellular radio to wake up and transmit the information back to Apple, Tile, etc.

Leaving Bluetooth on all the tile in a larger metro like area will for sure drain your battery faster. This is VERY noticeable. If you have a weak cellular signal the cellular radio will transmit with a higher power level. As much as people would like to believe this has a negligible effect, it can be a serious battery drain.

Apr 26, 2023 8:07 AM in response to Sangeet1234

Bluetooth consumes a negligible amount of battery when its on, but not being used. Bluetooth does not aid in location in any way shape or form.

The difference in battery usage when Wi-Fi is off and when it's on but not actively being used, is also pretty negligible. You'll probably save 1% over 36 hours if that. Other activities consume much more power than Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.

Same goes for cellular data, though it may consume more, if its trying to find a tower to connect to to, but can't.

In the grand scheme of things, there's no real reason to turn any of them off. It won't save any meaningful amount of battery in normal usage.

Feb 21, 2024 1:21 PM in response to prefer146

prefer146 wrote:

Leaving Bluetooth on all the tile in a larger metro like area will for sure drain your battery faster. This is VERY noticeable.

Informed sources disagree.

Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Battery Drain and oth… - Apple Community

If you have a weak cellular signal the cellular radio will transmit with a higher power level. As much as people would like to believe this has a negligible effect, it can be a serious battery drain.

Yes, a weak cellular signal will drain your battery more quickly, as Phil0124 acknowledged.

Battery Consumption with WiFi, Bluetooth & Cellular Data Turned On Together

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.