My MacBook Air has a lock sign on the screen

Hello. I don't know if this is a problem, but there is a lock sign on my MacBook Air, and I can't do anything. I don't even know my firmware password. Do I have to throw away my MacBook Air 11"?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Apr 26, 2023 7:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2023 7:13 PM

HastuneMiku Said:

"I need help.: Hello. I don't know if this is a problem, but there is a lock sign on my MacBook Air, and I can't do anything. I don't even know my firmware password. Do I have to throw away my MacBook Air 11"?"

-------

Troubleshooting a Mac with a Lock Icon:

See the Following:

1. Go Here: If your Mac doesn't Start Up all the Way - Apple Support
  2. Scroll to: Lock icon
  3. As it reads: "If your Mac is using a firmware password, the lock icon appears when you try to start up from another disk or volume, such as an external drive or macOS Recovery. Enter the firmware password to continue."
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2023 7:13 PM in response to HastuneMiku

HastuneMiku Said:

"I need help.: Hello. I don't know if this is a problem, but there is a lock sign on my MacBook Air, and I can't do anything. I don't even know my firmware password. Do I have to throw away my MacBook Air 11"?"

-------

Troubleshooting a Mac with a Lock Icon:

See the Following:

1. Go Here: If your Mac doesn't Start Up all the Way - Apple Support
  2. Scroll to: Lock icon
  3. As it reads: "If your Mac is using a firmware password, the lock icon appears when you try to start up from another disk or volume, such as an external drive or macOS Recovery. Enter the firmware password to continue."

My MacBook Air has a lock sign on the screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.