Windows System Linux

If in the Windows Operating System there is Windows Sub Linux (WSL). Is there a feature like the WSL in MAC Operating?

Posted on Apr 26, 2023 8:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 3:57 PM

@BobHarris WSL is a bit more than just a Unix feature provider. Working on a WSL is working inside of an isolated environment. MacOS is not as friendly as Linux in when it comes to modifying the system's configurations and other general configuration (No one wants to learn and configure Launchd service files instead of being able to launch a service on systemd). I think it would be worth it if Apple could develop a MSL to allow for developers and other IT professionals to have a native Linux Sub system for us to perform our work.

While MacOS is a Unix system and does provide Unix feature, it is not Linux. People seeking to work in a WSL do not simply seek Unix features. They seek Linux. Linux is a different OS and therefore differentiates in terms of functionalities and features and allows us with more freedom in terms of customization and control while keeping the MacOS layer clean and devoid of the chaos that a developer accumulates over time. It would also allow people to install packages with apt (or yum) instead of brew which is not supported by Apple and therefore is never fully consistent with the OS's updates. This would promote leaving the software on your Mac mainly from the App Store while being able test in a fully linux environment. It also would certainly help Apple gain a bigger share as developers' favorite platform to work on :P

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2023 3:57 PM in response to BobHarris

@BobHarris WSL is a bit more than just a Unix feature provider. Working on a WSL is working inside of an isolated environment. MacOS is not as friendly as Linux in when it comes to modifying the system's configurations and other general configuration (No one wants to learn and configure Launchd service files instead of being able to launch a service on systemd). I think it would be worth it if Apple could develop a MSL to allow for developers and other IT professionals to have a native Linux Sub system for us to perform our work.

While MacOS is a Unix system and does provide Unix feature, it is not Linux. People seeking to work in a WSL do not simply seek Unix features. They seek Linux. Linux is a different OS and therefore differentiates in terms of functionalities and features and allows us with more freedom in terms of customization and control while keeping the MacOS layer clean and devoid of the chaos that a developer accumulates over time. It would also allow people to install packages with apt (or yum) instead of brew which is not supported by Apple and therefore is never fully consistent with the OS's updates. This would promote leaving the software on your Mac mainly from the App Store while being able test in a fully linux environment. It also would certainly help Apple gain a bigger share as developers' favorite platform to work on :P

Aug 16, 2023 2:14 PM in response to FranksRobins

I am well aware of the different flavors of Unix/Linux. My first UNIX was an AT&T System V.2 running on a PDP-11. I've also work with SCO UNIX, Digital Equipment Corporation Ultrix, DIGITAL UNIX, Compaq Tru64 UNIX and HP-UX. I currently work with Solaris, AIX and Linux (mostly ssh'ed into Linux hosted development systems).

I maintain the same shell initialization scripts on my Mac, Linux, AIX and Solaris systems, testing $(uname) if I need to have some unique per system code. I also have a raft of shell scripts I use on all the systems.

Now if I found I really needed to work with Linux locally, I would install UTM https://mac.getutm.app/ and install an ARM64 (Aarch64) Linux distribution. But since I have a hosted Linux development system, and 4 clustered Linux test systems, I just use ssh to my systems, and use tmux to keep my sessions alive when my VPN connection into work is disconnected, thus breaking my ssh connections.

As for Apple creating an MSL environment, I do not think that is where Apple's primary interests are. They tend to build systems for Mom and Pop, and as you may have noticed they are moving the Mac to be more comfortable for iPhone and iPad users (the recent changes from System Preferences to System Settings).

This Mom & Pop keep it simple approach made Apple a Trillion Dollar company (well mostly the iPhone did that). That is to say, by being consumer focused Apple has made more money than any other computer company. And I do not think Apple is going to move away from that model and cater to Linux developers.

Just my opinion, but I've been watching Apple since I got my first Mac in 1988, and I've noticed the trends, especially when they turned totally consumer focused.

Apr 27, 2023 2:54 AM in response to KomunitasMAC

macOS does not have WSL built in.

But WSL is basically a virtual machine specifically for Linux.

macOS can also run Linux in a virtual machine which is running Linux. You just have to install the virtual machine software first.

If you happen to prefer Windows and Linux via WSL, then by all means, use a Windows system.

if you are already a Mac user, and want to run Linux, then install a virtual machine and then install Lunux. The UTM virtual machine is free.

Apr 26, 2023 8:43 PM in response to KomunitasMAC

Re: Barney-15E and XQuartz

XQuartz does still work. I use it from time to time.

But that is not the question KomunitasMAC is asking.

KomunitasMAC, macOS "IS" a "Certified" Unix operating system. It does not need to have a Linux subsystem to provide Unix features. Just launch Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal and explore to your hearts content. Keeping in mind that like every other flavor of Unix/Linux, the commands and utilities often have the same name, but a different implementation and different set of options.

If you want Linux running on your Mac, then get a virtual machine, such as UTM, Parallels, VMware Fusion, etc... and install a guest Linux operating system. You can even get containers, such as Docker, Rancher, etc...

NOTE: If you have an M1 or M2 based Mac, then the Linux will need to be one that is compiled for ARM64 (aka Aarch64) instruction set. They do exist.

Windows System Linux

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.