📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you install Xcode on Monterey?

I have a Mac running Monterey and want to install Xcode but when I look for it on the app store it says it requires Ventura. How do I get an older version that runs on Monterey?

Posted on Apr 27, 2023 7:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2023 9:12 AM

Have you downloaded XCode before on this or another mac, running under your Apple ID?

If you did, then you should find XCode among your "purchases" by clicking on your account (bottom left of the App Store window). If you click the download there, it should give you a warning that the current version requires Ventura and let you download an earlier, Monterey-compatible version.

If not, then try this - you may have to sign up for a free developer account, I am not sure.

https://developer.apple.com/download/all/?q=Xcode

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 27, 2023 9:12 AM in response to anothersmurf

Have you downloaded XCode before on this or another mac, running under your Apple ID?

If you did, then you should find XCode among your "purchases" by clicking on your account (bottom left of the App Store window). If you click the download there, it should give you a warning that the current version requires Ventura and let you download an earlier, Monterey-compatible version.

If not, then try this - you may have to sign up for a free developer account, I am not sure.

https://developer.apple.com/download/all/?q=Xcode

Apr 27, 2023 8:15 AM in response to anothersmurf

Regardless of what is on the App Store, you should always download Xcode directly from the Developer site. The installation process is much less painful that way.

I don't know about the current requirements for access to the Developer site. At one time, someone could get a free account useful for downloading files like this. I don't know if that is still true.

Apr 27, 2023 3:08 PM in response to anothersmurf

To install Xcode on Monterey, you can follow these steps:

1. Open the App Store on your Mac.
  2. Search for "Xcode" in the search bar at the top of the App Store window.
  3. Click the "Get" button next to Xcode to begin the download and installation process.
  4. Depending on your internet speed, the download may take some time to complete. Once it's finished, you should see Xcode appear in your Applications folder.
  5. Launch Xcode to complete the installation process.

How do you install Xcode on Monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.