Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

MacBook battery drained overnight

I got a MacBook Pro 16inch 2019 with macOS Ventura 13.3.1 and the battery drains regularly specially overnight.

I've tried everything possible formatting resetting ram, how is this fixable or at lest will this be fixed in the coming update?

I've also noticed a few people are having the same issue.

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Apr 28, 2023 1:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2023 7:34 AM

I can affirm this is not a battery issue... my battery is in good health, but the same thing started happening to me after upgrading to Sonoma. So far I have...

• Reset PRAM
  • Checked battery life
  • Ensured preferences are set so the computer should not do anything while asleep
  • Ran a hardware test, everything checked out
  • Wiped and re-installed OS directly from online, then migrated only the things I needed from TM Backup
  • Used EtreCheck to make sure old files, security settings, and buried startup files/kernel aggravators were deleted.

I'm a bit at a loss. Should I revert to the previous OS and see if it still does this?

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2023 7:34 AM in response to Lissy_12

I can affirm this is not a battery issue... my battery is in good health, but the same thing started happening to me after upgrading to Sonoma. So far I have...

• Reset PRAM
  • Checked battery life
  • Ensured preferences are set so the computer should not do anything while asleep
  • Ran a hardware test, everything checked out
  • Wiped and re-installed OS directly from online, then migrated only the things I needed from TM Backup
  • Used EtreCheck to make sure old files, security settings, and buried startup files/kernel aggravators were deleted.

I'm a bit at a loss. Should I revert to the previous OS and see if it still does this?

Apr 11, 2024 9:48 AM in response to yohan213

Have you considered the obvious workaround: shut down the Mac at night. Since they are all solid state the reboot time should be minimal and not an inconvenience. Also shutting down each night will clear out temporary cache and swap files for system and apps which helps is keeping the Mac at top performance.

Regarding the problem with opening after opening the lid give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode

Apr 11, 2024 6:33 AM in response to yohan213

I have a MacBook Pro 2019, 13 inch.. and the battery capacity is at a maximum of 80%.. the battery continues to die even if it’s in sleep mode I have gone down to the “genius” bar and they have told me that my battery is unable to hold a charge. This doesn’t make any sense to me. I don’t know why it would be draining even if I shut down all the applications overnight. Any suggestions? Should I reinstall the iOS or should I just trade the whole thing in and get a new computer?

Apr 29, 2023 12:21 PM in response to yohan213

Hi yohan213,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! For this issue, we would recommend the guidance in the following article that can help:

Get help with your Mac laptop battery

Use settings that optimize battery life
Laptop battery life is affected by how your Mac is configured and how you're using it, but you can improve battery life by using settings that help conserve energy.
Check Battery settings
From the Apple menu  in the menu bar, choose System Settings (or System Preferences), then click Battery. To see additional settings when using macOS Ventura or later, click Options.
Battery settings related to power modes or energy modes affect energy use, as do settings that enable your Mac to wake for network access or optimize video streaming while on battery. Availability of these and other settings varies by Mac. 
Learn more about Battery settings

Check Displays settings
Choose Apple menu  > System Settings (or System Preferences), then click Displays. To see additional settings, click Advanced.
Displays settings related to brightness affect energy use, including settings that enable your Mac to automatically adjust brightness, compensate for ambient light, or slightly dim the display while on battery. Availability of these and other settings varies by Mac.
Learn more about Displays settings

Diagnose battery issues
To help diagnose battery issues, check the health and charging status of your battery.
Check Battery Health
Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences (or System Settings), then click Battery. The Battery information shown here includes Battery Health:
* Normal: The battery is functioning normally. 
* Service Recommended: The battery's ability to hold charge is less than when it was new, or the battery isn't functioning normally. You can safely continue to use your Mac, but if your battery needs service or its lowered charging capacity is affecting your experience, get your battery evaluated at an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, or contact Apple.
Battery settings in macOS Ventura

In some earlier versions of macOS, battery health might be reported as Replace Soon, Replace Now, or Service Battery, and might appear in the battery status menu instead of Battery settings: Press and hold the Option (or Alt) key while clicking the battery status menu  in the menu bar. 
Some third-party apps also report battery health conditions, but the data they report might not be accurate or conclusively indicate diminished system runtime. It's best to rely on the battery-health information reported by macOS.
Resolve battery-charging issues
The battery status menu  in the menu bar shows how much charge your battery has, whether it's currently charging, and whether your display or any apps are using significant energy. When your Mac is connected to power and using optimized battery charging in macOS Big Sur or later, this menu also shows information such as whether charging is paused and when your battery will be fully charged. 
Battery status menu

Occasionally your battery might not show a full charge (100%), even after the power adapter has been connected for a long time. This is optimized battery charging, which helps prolong the overall life of the battery. If charging is on hold and you need your battery to be fully charged sooner, choose Charge To Full Now from the battery status menu .
If your battery isn't charging, make sure that you're using the correct power adapter for your Mac. If the power adapter isn't rated for at least the wattage that your Mac requires, it might not charge your Mac reliably. If you're using the correct power adapter, make sure that the power adapter isn't at fault:
* If your USB-C power adapter isn't charging
* If your MagSafe power adapter isn't charging
If your battery still doesn't charge:
* Shut down your Mac, close its lid for 30 seconds, then try to charge again.
* If you're using an Intel-based Mac, it might help to reset the SMC.
Use Apple Diagnostics
The tests performed by Apple Diagnostics include tests for battery issues.
Learn how to use Apple Diagnostics

Get service for your battery
Your Apple One Year Limited Warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. If you purchased an AppleCare Protection Plan for your Mac laptop and your battery retains less than 80 percent of its original capacity, Apple will replace the battery at no charge. If you don't have coverage, you can have the battery replaced for a fee. 
MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro computers with built-in batteries should have their batteries replaced only by an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Store, or by an Independent Repair Provider that uses genuine Apple parts.1 Repairs performed by untrained individuals or using non-genuine Apple parts could damage your equipment, and such damage is not covered by warranty. Genuine Apple parts are also available for out-of-warranty repairs through Self Service Repair.2
Some older Mac laptops have removable batteries that you can replace yourself. Contact an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Store for help servicing a removable battery.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day.

Apr 30, 2023 1:21 PM in response to yohan213

Understood yohan213,

RAM is going to be a separate thing, as it is hardware as opposed to the software which is the macOS. So resetting isn't likely to impact RAM. You can use the following steps to run a diagnostic test on your Mac: Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

That test will check for any overt hardware messages. So let us know what it reports and we'll go from there.

Cheers!

Apr 30, 2023 12:57 PM in response to Lissy_12

Hi,

just want to know if I format my Mac will it reset the ram cause I feel like there is an issue with the OS as well.

also something I realised was that after shutting down the Mac, the Mac won't automatically switch on after opening the lid sometimes it requires for me to close it and open it again to automatically switch on, what do you think the issue is?

MacBook battery drained overnight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.