Multiple photos libraries in icloud

I created a new photos library(2) and chose it to be the system photo library. I imported the pictures I wanted and let them all upload to icloud as I chose to use icloud photos. I still have my original library(1) on my iMac in my PICTURES folder. I make the assumption that the ONLY photos in icloud are those from the NEW library(2) I created. Today I started photos with the option key and chose to use the ORIGINAL library(1). After some time rebuilding, photos opened and all my original photos, albums, etc were there. I assume that these photos, etc are NOT in icloud, but only on my iMac hdd. Is that correct?

If I now choose to make this original library the system library, will all the pics etc showing with the original library(1) now be uploaded to icloud while the photos from the library(2) be deleted?

Will the photos etc from library(2), even though not the system library, remain on my iMac hdd?

I apologize in advance if I am asking questions that are easily answered with a quick google search, but I've had too much wrong info and wanted to check with pros.

iMac 24″

Posted on Apr 28, 2023 4:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2023 7:10 AM

When you already are having photos in iCloud Photos and are making a different library your iCloud Photos Library, Photos will merge the photos from your new system photos library into the existing iCloud Photos Library. The merged library will be synced to all your devices you are syncing with iCloud Photos and your second system Photos library will be modified and now be a merged library.

If you do not want to merge libraries, you should make backup copies of the libraries you are switching between. And remove all traces of the old library from iCloud (but make sure, you have local copies of all photos ). Your local copies may be incomplate, if you have been using "Optimize Storage" with iCloud.

We can only have one iCloud Photos Library for each AppleID. If you want to use two different iCloud Photos Libraries, you would have to use two different AppleIDs.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2023 7:10 AM in response to DJMc

When you already are having photos in iCloud Photos and are making a different library your iCloud Photos Library, Photos will merge the photos from your new system photos library into the existing iCloud Photos Library. The merged library will be synced to all your devices you are syncing with iCloud Photos and your second system Photos library will be modified and now be a merged library.

If you do not want to merge libraries, you should make backup copies of the libraries you are switching between. And remove all traces of the old library from iCloud (but make sure, you have local copies of all photos ). Your local copies may be incomplate, if you have been using "Optimize Storage" with iCloud.

We can only have one iCloud Photos Library for each AppleID. If you want to use two different iCloud Photos Libraries, you would have to use two different AppleIDs.

Multiple photos libraries in icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.