HomePods Mini using massive amount of data while idle

I am using three HomePods Mini in my garden house. All have the latest iOS 16.4.1 installed and are connected to the internet via an LTE router which uses the data of my wife's mobile data plan. The HomePods have done a decent job for about 18 months and used approx. 2 GB of data per month in total. Since March 2023 the data usage has exploded to approx. 4 GB per day (ending up at more than 100 GB per month). This is certainly not sustainable with a mobile data plan.

No other devices are connected to the router so it is definitely the HomePods that are consuming it and I kept them idle (of course I rebooted everything several times).

I assume that the latest iOS update to 16.4 in March caused the issues but have no idea how to fix it. 16.4.1 did not change anything. Does anyone have the same problems or knows how to fix it?

HomePod mini, 16

Posted on Apr 28, 2023 6:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2023 10:56 AM

Hello svenfrommünster,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Let's attempt to reset to factory settings and test to see if the issue persists:

"Reset HomePod or HomePod mini to factory settings

To reset your HomePod speaker to its factory settings, first remove it from the Home app, then press the top of HomePod or HomePod mini to reset it.

Remove HomePod or HomePod mini from the Home app

1. Open the Home app on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac that's signed in with the Apple ID that you used to set up HomePod.
  2. Tap or click HomePod.
  3. Select the Settings icon  or scroll down to HomePod settings.
  4. Select Reset HomePod.iPhone with Home app open showing Reset HomePod
  5. Select Remove Accessory.

Reset HomePod or HomePod mini

1. Unplug HomePod or unplug the power adapter for HomePod mini. Wait 10 seconds, then plug HomePod back in.
  2. Wait 10 seconds, then touch your finger to the top of HomePod and hold it there.
  3. The white spinning light will turn red. Keep your finger down. 
  4. Siri will say that your HomePod is about to reset. When you hear three beeps, you can lift your finger."

More details can be found here: Reset HomePod or HomePod mini

If the issue persists, can you provide a few more details? Does the same problem persist if you connect to another network? Also, is your HomePod constantly streaming music?

Cheers!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2023 10:56 AM in response to svenfrommünster

Hello svenfrommünster,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Let's attempt to reset to factory settings and test to see if the issue persists:

"Reset HomePod or HomePod mini to factory settings

To reset your HomePod speaker to its factory settings, first remove it from the Home app, then press the top of HomePod or HomePod mini to reset it.

Remove HomePod or HomePod mini from the Home app

1. Open the Home app on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac that's signed in with the Apple ID that you used to set up HomePod.
  2. Tap or click HomePod.
  3. Select the Settings icon  or scroll down to HomePod settings.
  4. Select Reset HomePod.iPhone with Home app open showing Reset HomePod
  5. Select Remove Accessory.

Reset HomePod or HomePod mini

1. Unplug HomePod or unplug the power adapter for HomePod mini. Wait 10 seconds, then plug HomePod back in.
  2. Wait 10 seconds, then touch your finger to the top of HomePod and hold it there.
  3. The white spinning light will turn red. Keep your finger down. 
  4. Siri will say that your HomePod is about to reset. When you hear three beeps, you can lift your finger."

More details can be found here: Reset HomePod or HomePod mini

If the issue persists, can you provide a few more details? Does the same problem persist if you connect to another network? Also, is your HomePod constantly streaming music?

Cheers!

HomePods Mini using massive amount of data while idle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.