Newsroom Update

Updates to the Home experience elevate entertainment and bring more convenience. Learn more >

HomePod connection issues with OS 16.6

I updated 2 x OG HomePods and 2 x HomePod minis to 16.6 recently. None would reconnect to WiFi after the update and the only way I could re-enable them was to remove each from the Home app, reset the HomePods and set up again as new devices. However after a little less than 24 hours they all dropped out again. Repeated the removal, reset, re-add and a further 24 hours later they all dropped out again.

I used to see them re-authenticating on my WiFi on an hourly basis before 16.6 - now only show up when I re-add them.

No changes to my home network during this period and no other devices are having connection issues.

Anybody else seeing anything similar? Has something changed in the network requirements with OS 16.6?

Posted on Jul 31, 2023 12:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 5:14 AM

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I did speak to Apple Support after posting, but they could not recommend anything I hadn't already tried, finally suggesting I request a hardware repair. I've started to see people reporting similar issues on other fora following this update, so clearly something amiss with it.

As an experiment I reset one HomePod and added it to a less secure WPA access point and it has stayed connected for well over 24 hours so far. Seems to suggest the update has messed up the WPA2 protocol somehow.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2023 5:14 AM in response to JessS19

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I did speak to Apple Support after posting, but they could not recommend anything I hadn't already tried, finally suggesting I request a hardware repair. I've started to see people reporting similar issues on other fora following this update, so clearly something amiss with it.

As an experiment I reset one HomePod and added it to a less secure WPA access point and it has stayed connected for well over 24 hours so far. Seems to suggest the update has messed up the WPA2 protocol somehow.

HomePod connection issues with OS 16.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.