macOS Ventura will not quick look .m4a audio files

In the Finder, if I preview an .m4a (Audio - MPEG AAC) file, Quick Look will not show the contents of that audio file - it won't playback audio, it won't show the title artwork or chapter artwork. It will never preview - spinning gear "loading" and never resolves to preview the file.

If I change the file's extension (and therefore reduce the access of metadata of the podcast file) to an .mp4 - Quick Look works as expected.

Does Ventura no longer support .m4a audio files? I can't see anything in macOS documentation that it shouldn't.

I have tried a clean install (what an effort that was) - yikes!

I have tried using Terminal to call a reset to the QL Cache "qlmanage - r cache"

I reboot.

I restart.

I boot into Safe Mode.

No changes...

Anyone capable of offering advice or help? Would appreciate it.

Posted on Apr 28, 2023 6:26 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 28, 2023 6:49 AM in response to dialabrain

Hi dialabrian - yes those sample files you suggest do quicklook, but they are not quite the same files as I have - mine include Apple podcasts metadata (cover artwork, chapter markers, JPEG chapter art). Just seeing and testing if there is a difference in metadata from your files and mine that is causing issue. I've never had issue in Catalina, so questioning if something is missing in quicklook db within Ventura.

macOS Ventura will not quick look .m4a audio files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.