Live photos always enabled despite having it disabled in settings

Hi all. Whenever I take a photo with my iPhone, the Live Photos feature seems to be always enabled, even though I've disabled it in my Camera settings. This is causing my phone to take up unnecessary storage space with the Live Photos I don't intend to use.

Device: iPhone 14 Pro

iOS Version: 16.4.1

Steps I've tried:

Disabling Live Photos in the Camera settings (Settings > Camera > Preserve Settings > Live Photo > Off)

Restarting my iPhone.

Resetting all settings (Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings)

Updating to the latest iOS version.

Unfortunately, none of the above solutions have resolved my issue. The Live Photos feature remains active regardless of my attempts to disable it.

Has anyone else encountered this problem, or does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it? Any help would be appreciated.

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 28, 2023 1:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2023 1:14 PM

You may have set the Preserve Live Photo setting opposite to what you probably desired. By turning the Preserve Settings for Live Photo OFF, you have directed the camera to continue to turn ON Live Photo after each photo session.

Open Settings ➡️ Camera ➡️ Preserve Settings ➡️ Live Photo: Set this switch to ON. Now, when you turn OFF Live Photo before you take a picture in the camera app, then it will remain OFF until manually turn it ON.

From the Camera app, tap the Live Photos button  to turn off Live Photos. A slash through the Live Photos button means that the feature is off.

Axel F.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2023 1:14 PM in response to 2vsh

You may have set the Preserve Live Photo setting opposite to what you probably desired. By turning the Preserve Settings for Live Photo OFF, you have directed the camera to continue to turn ON Live Photo after each photo session.

Open Settings ➡️ Camera ➡️ Preserve Settings ➡️ Live Photo: Set this switch to ON. Now, when you turn OFF Live Photo before you take a picture in the camera app, then it will remain OFF until manually turn it ON.

From the Camera app, tap the Live Photos button  to turn off Live Photos. A slash through the Live Photos button means that the feature is off.

Axel F.

Live photos always enabled despite having it disabled in settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.