Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

I don't have access to the five previous computers I have authorized on itunes, so how do I deauthorize them?

I'm trying to put itunes on my PC, but it says I've already authorized 5 computers.

Those computers must have been from at least a decade ago and I don't have access to them, so how do I de-authorize them, if I can't authorize my own computer?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Apr 28, 2023 11:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2023 12:05 AM

You will have to deauthorize all of your computers and then re-authorize the ones that you want to be authorized now. You can do this in your account section of iTunes or Music.

Here is a link to the Apple support article with step-by-step instructions:

Authorize or deauthorize your computer for iTunes Store purchases - Apple Support

Scroll down to the section labeled “If you need to deauthorize a computer that you don't have access to”.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2023 12:05 AM in response to gagebaron

You will have to deauthorize all of your computers and then re-authorize the ones that you want to be authorized now. You can do this in your account section of iTunes or Music.

Here is a link to the Apple support article with step-by-step instructions:

Authorize or deauthorize your computer for iTunes Store purchases - Apple Support

Scroll down to the section labeled “If you need to deauthorize a computer that you don't have access to”.

Apr 29, 2023 2:23 AM in response to gagebaron

gagebaron wrote:

I can't open itunes on this computer, because I have to deauthorize the other computers;

I don't believe that is correct.

You can install iTunes on as many computers as you wish. What you cannot do is authorise more than five computers that can download your iTunes Store purchases.

The first thing to do therefore is work out why you cannot open iTunes on your current computer. What happens when you try to open iTunes, what error messages do you see?

Once you resolve the issue of iTunes not opening (and only then), you can then go to your account in the iTunes Store and use the De-authorise All option to de-authorise all your computers, whether you have access to them or not. Then you authorise the computers that you do want.

Apr 29, 2023 11:34 AM in response to gagebaron

Yes, you CAN still sign into your account in iTunes even if the computer you’re doing it from is not authorized. Again, authorizing a computer only allows it to download/play purchased content - it does NOT prevent access to the app or your account.

If you are unable to OPEN iTunes or sign in to your account, then you have a different problem that is not related to authorization.

Apr 29, 2023 12:59 PM in response to gagebaron

gagebaron wrote:

I cannot log into iTunes, because I already have five other computers authorized.

As both myself and Wengro have told you, that simply is not the case.

Authorisation concerns the ability to download and play music that you have purchased from the iTunes Store and is a step taken after signing into the store.

Please provide precise wording of any error messages that you see when you try to sign into the store, or more detail about what happens when you try, rather than making assumptions about what you think is the cause.

gagebaron wrote:

I haven’t installed, but I can’t login.

I don't understand what you mean. Have you, or have you not installed iTunes? In your first post you did state that:

I'm trying to put itunes on my PC, but it says I've already authorized 5 computers.

If you have not installed iTunes, then that is the issue to be addressed, not authorisation.

It has always been the case that if you no longer have access to a computer that you wish to de-authorise, then you use iTunes to De-authorise All (computers) in your account and then Authorise the computers that you do have. However, there is a limit to the number of times per year that you can do this. Is it this limit that you have reached? If so, there should be a specific message telling you that you have reached the limit of your de-authorisation requests. Again, what is the precise wording of any messages that you see?

I don't have access to the five previous computers I have authorized on itunes, so how do I deauthorize them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.