Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

If I already have 5 old computers that I don't have access to authorized, I can't authorize my new computer in order to deauthorize the old ones. What can I do?

My itunes account is authorized to five computers already. I don't have access to any of them--haven't used itunes in a long time, I imagine they're old work machines. Now that I want to authorize my new computer, I need to deauthorize my old ones. How can I do this if I can't authorize my current machine because I've already authorized 5 machines I don't have access to?

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 8:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 9:08 AM

Use the Deauthorize All option and then authorize any computers you still have and want to use. See the following from Authorize or deauthorize your computer for iTunes Store purchases - Apple Support

If you are using a Windows PC to deauthorize all:

To deauthorize a computer that you don't have access to, you have to deauthorize all of your computers. Then authorize each computer that you have again. You can deauthorize all computers only once a year.

1. Open iTunes.
  2. Choose Account > View My Account.
  3. Sign in with your Apple ID and password. Forgot your Apple ID?
  4. At the top of your Account Information page, go to the Apple ID Summary section.
  5. Next to Computer Authorizations, click Deauthorize All.
  6. Authorize each computer that you use again.

or if you are using a newer Mac, see:

To deauthorize a computer that you don't have access to, you have to deauthorize all of your computers. Then authorize each computer that you have again. You can deauthorize all computers only once a year.

1. Open the Apple Music app or Apple TV app.
  2. Choose Account > Account Settings.
  4. At the top of your Account Information page, go to the Apple ID Summary section.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2023 9:08 AM in response to mattyg5

Use the Deauthorize All option and then authorize any computers you still have and want to use. See the following from Authorize or deauthorize your computer for iTunes Store purchases - Apple Support

If you are using a Windows PC to deauthorize all:

1. Open iTunes.
  2. Choose Account > View My Account.

or if you are using a newer Mac, see:

1. Open the Apple Music app or Apple TV app.
  2. Choose Account > Account Settings.

If I already have 5 old computers that I don't have access to authorized, I can't authorize my new computer in order to deauthorize the old ones. What can I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.