Spotlight doesn't open

When I used my computer for the first time today, Spotlight would not respond when I clicked the icon. This happened multiple times and wasn't fixed by simple strategies such as restart or shutdown. I've seen recommendations on Apple Support and other sites for addressing Spotlight issues but am always hesitant to experiment too much on my own. Regarding suggestions from Apple Support about going into Systems Settings and Spotlight Privacy, if I do that, what disk or folder should I choose to reindex? Macintosh HD? Documents?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 29, 2023 7:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2023 7:47 AM

NJM55 wrote:

When I used my computer for the first time today, Spotlight would not respond when I clicked the icon. This happened multiple times and wasn't fixed by simple strategies such as restart or shutdown.

I've seen recommendations on Apple Support and other sites for addressing Spotlight issues but am always hesitant to experiment too much on my own.

Regarding suggestions from Apple Support about going into Systems Settings and Spotlight Privacy, if I do that, what disk or folder should I choose to reindex? Macintosh HD? Documents?

—A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Macintosh HD.

Add and remove the Macintosh HD.

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

ref: A Spotlight Search, made within an open F… - Apple Community

you can see it working:

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2023 7:47 AM in response to NJM55

NJM55 wrote:

When I used my computer for the first time today, Spotlight would not respond when I clicked the icon. This happened multiple times and wasn't fixed by simple strategies such as restart or shutdown.

I've seen recommendations on Apple Support and other sites for addressing Spotlight issues but am always hesitant to experiment too much on my own.

Regarding suggestions from Apple Support about going into Systems Settings and Spotlight Privacy, if I do that, what disk or folder should I choose to reindex? Macintosh HD? Documents?

—A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Macintosh HD.

Add and remove the Macintosh HD.

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

ref: A Spotlight Search, made within an open F… - Apple Community

you can see it working:

Spotlight doesn't open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.