Unable to turn off guided access on my iPad

i’m not exactly sure what happened, but i triple tapped the home button and the option to turn on guided access appeared. i clicked the home button again to get out of it and now my screen is entirely inoperable. i have a very small part of my screen available for guided access so nothing is able to be interacted with. i turned my ipad off which was a stupid decision i guess, and can only swipe to open the little menu thing (where the wifi, bluetooth, volume, brightness etc stuff is) but can not interact with anything. i tried to power off my ipad, but i can’t swipe to turn it off. is there anything i can do? please help me 😅

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Pro (1st generation)

Posted on Apr 30, 2023 4:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2023 6:56 AM

My iPhone 12 was locked in guided access mode on 28 November 2023 at 9AM.

I followed the instruction to unlock it and it worked.

I hit the up volume button.

I hit the down volume button.

I held the power button until it went off. Took my phone about 20 seconds to go off.

I waited about 30 seconds and power phone back on. Put in password and phone came

back on normal.

I want being using guided access no more.

Similar questions

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2023 6:56 AM in response to cantdoausername

My iPhone 12 was locked in guided access mode on 28 November 2023 at 9AM.

I followed the instruction to unlock it and it worked.

I hit the up volume button.

I hit the down volume button.

I held the power button until it went off. Took my phone about 20 seconds to go off.

I waited about 30 seconds and power phone back on. Put in password and phone came

back on normal.

I want being using guided access no more.

Nov 25, 2023 7:44 AM in response to poppystarx

Next time go into iCloud.com from another device and sign into your appleID and mark device as lost. Instantly works. This has happened to me twice now once with an iPhone 12 & 14. Why this keeps happening and they haven’t fixed it with an update idk. When it has happened to me, none of the just force restart stuff works. This has been the only thing that worked. Apple needs to fix this software problem asap.

Oct 20, 2023 12:25 AM in response to LotusPilot

what do i do if i dont have a home button? i turned on guided access in an attempt to put a passcode on a few apps and when i clicked on one of those apps which was instagram all my options were gone, the bar on the lower end of my screen which i use to exit apps and stuff is gone, i cant go back to home and im just completely stuck in instagram, the triple click to turn off guided access is not working and ive tried powering off my phone and that is not working either

Apr 30, 2023 4:28 AM in response to cantdoausername

When you are stuck in Guided Access mode, you can be really stuck as the typical triple tap on the home button to quit out of Guided Access may not work. Even a forced exit won't work because the power button and the home button are disabled. 

The only way to get out of Guided Access is to press the Home and Power button together for 15 seconds. This should turn off Guided Access by forcibly rebooting your device. Once your device is restarted, you can then go to Settings > Accessibility > Guided Access > Guided Access - and turn off Guided Access if needed.

Use Guided Access on iPad - Apple Support

Use Guided Access with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Oct 20, 2023 4:08 AM in response to ventirose

ventirose wrote:

what do i do if i dont have a home button? i turned on guided access in an attempt to put a passcode on a few apps and when i clicked on one of those apps which was instagram all my options were gone, the bar on the lower end of my screen which i use to exit apps and stuff is gone, i cant go back to home and im just completely stuck in instagram, the triple click to turn off guided access is not working and ive tried powering off my phone and that is not working either

For iPad’s without a physical Home button, you’ll need to follow a different button sequence…

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Jan 4, 2024 4:26 PM in response to cantdoausername

Same here but this is my second time first time it was my screen that had like a white screen was over my screen I was so confused? I didn’t know why when I tapped it what the I said I couldn’t tap anything! I was so mad but when we got to t-mobile I got out of it I was so happy 😀 but…Second time was surprise surprise I got back into it after 2 days of pure happiness it came back but this time I can’t leave safari🧭 and I’m still stuck on it to this day, hope you get Guided Access off your phone it hurts.😭

Unable to turn off guided access on my iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.