change of apple ID on a computer

I installed the new macbook of my wife with my apple id and iCloud service, now I want to change and create a new one for her, register it on her machine and keeping mine for mine

, keeping the 2 accounts separate

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 1, 2023 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2023 9:34 AM

Log out of your account in System Settings ➜ Apple ID, then when prompted to sign back in click on the Create new Apple ID option. click here ➜ Create an Apple ID on Mac - Apple Support

With that done, open Messages, click on the Messages menu, then on Settings then on @, and make sure the new Apple ID is logged in there.

Repeat in FaceTime ➜ Settings ➜ General

And in the Apple Store App ➜ Store Menu ➜ Sign Out, and sign in with the new Apple ID.

Do note, any apps you may have downloaded from the App Store will forever be tied to your account, and require your account to update. OS updates may also require your account and password.

Really, the best option would have been to create the Apple ID during setup for her, instead of using your own.

You can erase the Mac entirely, and set it up again, and create the Apple ID then, so nothing is tied to your own account.

click here ➜ What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2023 9:34 AM in response to capelleLP

Log out of your account in System Settings ➜ Apple ID, then when prompted to sign back in click on the Create new Apple ID option. click here ➜ Create an Apple ID on Mac - Apple Support

With that done, open Messages, click on the Messages menu, then on Settings then on @, and make sure the new Apple ID is logged in there.

Repeat in FaceTime ➜ Settings ➜ General

And in the Apple Store App ➜ Store Menu ➜ Sign Out, and sign in with the new Apple ID.

Do note, any apps you may have downloaded from the App Store will forever be tied to your account, and require your account to update. OS updates may also require your account and password.

Really, the best option would have been to create the Apple ID during setup for her, instead of using your own.

You can erase the Mac entirely, and set it up again, and create the Apple ID then, so nothing is tied to your own account.

click here ➜ What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

change of apple ID on a computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.