Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

messaging

When I sent a message and I get a not delivered message back what does that really mean

Posted on May 1, 2023 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2023 1:19 PM

It really means the message was not delivered. This could happen for a number of reasons. Some include - no Wi-Fi or cellular connection, wrong Send To address/phone number, you are sending a iMessage to an Android phone and more. This link offers advice:

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

I’ve copied the pertinent part here:

If you see a red exclamation point

If you try to send a message and you see  with an alert that says Not Delivered, follow these steps:

1. Check your network connection.
  2. Tap , then tap Try Again.
  3. If you still can’t send the message, tap , then tap Send as Text Message. Messaging rates may apply. Contact your carrier for more information.

You can set up Messages so that it automatically tries to send messages as an SMS when iMessage isn't available. Go to Settings > Messages, and turn on Send as SMS.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2023 1:19 PM in response to Runner1201

It really means the message was not delivered. This could happen for a number of reasons. Some include - no Wi-Fi or cellular connection, wrong Send To address/phone number, you are sending a iMessage to an Android phone and more. This link offers advice:

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

I’ve copied the pertinent part here:

If you see a red exclamation point

If you try to send a message and you see  with an alert that says Not Delivered, follow these steps:

1. Check your network connection.
  2. Tap , then tap Try Again.
  3. If you still can’t send the message, tap , then tap Send as Text Message. Messaging rates may apply. Contact your carrier for more information.

You can set up Messages so that it automatically tries to send messages as an SMS when iMessage isn't available. Go to Settings > Messages, and turn on Send as SMS.

messaging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.