Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Numbers 3.6.2 won't open 1 spreadsheet, says need to update. But can't update to newer iOS on 13" 2012 MacBook pro

I'm stuck have mid 2012 13" MacBook Pro maxed out on Catalina. Numbers says I need latest iOS to update it.

But I had been able to work with it & existing spreadsheets & new ones. But a few days ago it won't let me open 1 I need. But I can open a newer one I have created. I had recently updated the spreadsheet that it will not let me open now. Nothing has changed that I know of.

I realize its time to upgrade to a new computer but I'm confused since just in last few days it has stopped letting me open a spreadsheet I use w list of meds & supplements.

So I'm planning to upgrade soon after I do a little more shopping. But any help in being able to access existing spreadsheets in mean time? I also need to finish my income taxes. Couldn't use TurboTax this year. Had to use H&R Block which i don't like.

So any suggestions so I can continue to use existing spreadsheets for the time being? Or why it lets me open 1 but not the other? I usually like to update & take this one it won't let me open when going to visit medical providers.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 1, 2023 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2023 3:05 PM

If you opened that one document elsewhere with a newer version of Numbers, like on your phone or iPad or a newer computer or in the iCloud version of Numbers, it got "updated" to the latest version. Older versions of Numbers will no longer open it.

Did this happen?

What is the message you get when trying to open it?

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2023 3:05 PM in response to KathiMR

If you opened that one document elsewhere with a newer version of Numbers, like on your phone or iPad or a newer computer or in the iCloud version of Numbers, it got "updated" to the latest version. Older versions of Numbers will no longer open it.

Did this happen?

What is the message you get when trying to open it?

May 1, 2023 3:22 PM in response to Badunit

Wow. Yeah I have it on my iPhone. But sort of hard to read there.

it says It’s time to update.

to open this spreadsheet you’ll need the latest version of Numbers.

so I guess I’m stuck until I upgrade my Mac. Which won’t be immediately. & since I’m having trouble reading some things I’m thinking I need a bigger screen like 16” & those are so much more expensive.

& I’m in Portland OR where we only have 3 Apple Stores in who state. I don’t do downtown & the other 2 are both in Tigard for some reason. About 25 mi away.

thanks for the help.

May 1, 2023 3:47 PM in response to KathiMR

This is one of my gripes about Apple/Numbers. Planned obsolescence (i.e., forcing you to buy a newer computer when your old one is still perfectly adequate) is more important than backward compatibility. Many people have been caught by this, including me. I believe Numbers could very easily have been designed to open newer versions of files with the warning that unsupported functions would be replaced with their last known values; same as what it does with Excel import. Newer versions of Numbers could also have the ability to save in older formats (more recent versions, not just all the way back to Numbers '09).

If it is in iCloud, on your Mac you can use the iCloud version of Numbers on your older computer to keep using the file. That is one option.

I believe using the iOS (phone) version of Numbers or the iCloud version, you can export to Numbers '09 or Excel or CSV. Opening that file in your older version of Numbers will recreate your document, though most likely with changes in how it looks. Excel would probably be my first choice.

Numbers 3.6.2 won't open 1 spreadsheet, says need to update. But can't update to newer iOS on 13" 2012 MacBook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.