Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

iPhone redirect me to the Instagram app instead of starting a call

Hi,

When I'm trying to call someone, my iPhone redirect me to the Instagram app instead of starting the call.

The issue isn't occuring for every contact in my phone, but it happens with some contacts.

There is no way to call them and in every single try it keeps redirect me to Instagram.

I have the latest iOS 16.4.1 (a) software. any solution for this issue?

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on May 2, 2023 1:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2023 4:35 AM

Applied that action and it fixed opening up one app but then opened Teams. This is quite a major bug for Apple to fix. If you tap the actual number the call works, you cannot use Call icon. How did that pass testing !

85 replies

Jul 7, 2023 8:45 AM in response to oriitzhak

If I initiate voice call for a contact in my contact list it would either initiate Instagram or WhatsApp or Facebook messenger. Few observations: One, It does not happen for all the contacts. Two, if I initiate a voice call by pressing the icon with the receiver sign that is there in contact details only then it diverts to WA, Insta or FB Messanger. Three, if I press the phone number then it places the voice properly. It has stated happening to me 3-4 days back only…is there any resolution to it?

May 26, 2023 9:06 AM in response to marques69

First try clearing the cache in your iPhone as some users have mentioned this works for them. You can do this right in the Safari app - just clear all your browsing history and then try again with whatever you were doing. Are you able to unlock your hotel room and/or make phone calls now?

If that doesn’t work, try deleting the FB Messenger app entirely. You can always download it again later, but see if it works once that app is gone. Then when you redownload it there’s a possibility that the bug was removed with the deletion of the app and won’t come back, as other users mentioned.

I hope this helps because I have yet to hear of a one-size-fits-all fix for this, even for people I know in person (outside of this discussion) and I really want to find out how this can be resolved.

May 26, 2023 9:08 AM in response to srhodes921

In Safari, you have to clear all your browsing history. This also clears the cache. Clear your cache on iPhone - Apple Support

An added bonus is that this can also speed up iPhones depending on just how much history you have stored. I have mine set to auto-delete I believe every few months and it’s never slowed down on my iPhone 13.

Sep 25, 2023 11:57 AM in response to oriitzhak

Here's the fix for every version.

Do it exactly like this.

Update your phone all the way.

If updated already or after updating, restart two times.

Delete All These Apps at one time if you have them.

• FB Messenger
  • Instagram
  • What's App
  • Signal Messnger
  • Telegram
  • Any other messaging app

Restart two times after.

(Optional)

Syn all your contacts now if you want.

How to easily Force-Sync your Contacts on… - Apple Community

Amazng sync app only one I found that works.

https://apps.apple.com/au/app/contacts-sync-for-google-gmail/id454390333

Restart two times.

(Optional)

Install All The Apps you deleted ONE BY ONE.

RESTART TWICE AFTER EACH APP INSTALL.

Problem Solved!

Have a great day and much love.

-Sal

May 3, 2023 12:57 PM in response to devandran2062

What if you try offloading the Instagram app? You don’t have to delete it, just offload it. Go to Settings > General > Storage and click IG app, offload app. I wonder if this would work?

Also be sure to force restart your phone (quickly press volume up, volume down, then press and hold power button until you see the Apple logo).

Let me know if this helps at all.

May 11, 2023 7:10 PM in response to Bloodwolf79

This is what I did and it resolved the issue. I delete Instagram instead of offload and force restart then reinstall the Instagram and then force restart again and it works. Not really sure what’s happening. I’ve contacted Apple support and they asked me to reset the setting which I declined so I’m not really sure will that work. Hope this helps.

iPhone redirect me to the Instagram app instead of starting a call

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.