High Sierra

I have a Ventura 27" iMac and I want to install High Sierra on an external SSD to run older programs but when I try from a bootable USB all I get is a no entry sign and if I double click on High Sierra in Applications I get "this copy of the Install Mac OS" application is too old to be opened on this version of Mac OS.

iMac 27″, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 2, 2023 3:59 AM

13 replies

May 2, 2023 4:28 AM in response to Berniebiggles

macOS High Sierra 10.13 hardware requirements

The Age of this computer will Govern what version of macOS it will Qualifies to run.

Use About this Mac from the Apple Icon on Desktop - the required Information will be there.

Does this computer appear as Listed and Qualifying to run macOS 10.13 High Sierra ?

If Not, this computer maybe too New to run macOS 10.13 High Sierra even from an External Drive

May 2, 2023 4:38 AM in response to PRP_53

I have tried to install High Sierra on an external drive using a bootable USB. I tried using the option key at startup but when I selected the USB I got a '0' or no entry sign. When I tried double clicking it in Applications I got the message "This copy of the Install Mac OS is too old to be installed on this version of Mac OS".

The mac is late 2019 27" without the T2 chip.

High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.