Problem trying to install macOS High Sierra on external drive.

My external drive on which I was running High Sierra died, so I am trying to install High Sierra on a new 1tb SSD external drive. I've looked and reviewed several tutorials with no success; I had the installer but get a message: "This copy of the "Install macOS" application is too old to be opened on this version of macOS." Tried to create a new bootable installer but again I persistently either get looped back into downloading the OS and or get a message saying "This copy of the "Install macOS" application is too old to be opened on this version of macOS." iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013, 1tb SSD) running Catalina 10.15.7. On an aside, I thought perhaps I could do a Recovery Mode start and try from that angle but my iMac is now refusing to respond to any of the startup commands. Any help appreciated. (Please note, I'm a simpleton). TIA!

iMac 27″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 25, 2024 7:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2024 9:17 AM

Delete the "Install macOS High Sierra" app from the Applications folder and empty the Trash. Download the High Sierra installer again using the link in the following Apple article:

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

Once downloaded, the installer may automatically launch to begin installing which may result in an error message since a later version macOS won't allow you to run an older older installer. Just close the installer app. As long as the "Install macOS High Sierra" app within the Applications folder is about 6GB in size, then you at least have the full installer. You should then be able to use the instructions in the following Apple article to create a bootable macOS USB installer:

Create a bootable installer - Apple Support

If you only have a small stub installer with a size about 20MB, then delete it & empty the Trash. Then run the following command using the Terminal app to download the full macOS 10.13.6 installer:

softwareupdate  -d  --fetch-full-installer  --full-installer-version 10.13.6

If it completes the download successfully, then create the bootable macOS USB installer using the above linked article.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2024 9:17 AM in response to cabngirl

Delete the "Install macOS High Sierra" app from the Applications folder and empty the Trash. Download the High Sierra installer again using the link in the following Apple article:

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

Once downloaded, the installer may automatically launch to begin installing which may result in an error message since a later version macOS won't allow you to run an older older installer. Just close the installer app. As long as the "Install macOS High Sierra" app within the Applications folder is about 6GB in size, then you at least have the full installer. You should then be able to use the instructions in the following Apple article to create a bootable macOS USB installer:

Create a bootable installer - Apple Support

If you only have a small stub installer with a size about 20MB, then delete it & empty the Trash. Then run the following command using the Terminal app to download the full macOS 10.13.6 installer:

softwareupdate  -d  --fetch-full-installer  --full-installer-version 10.13.6

If it completes the download successfully, then create the bootable macOS USB installer using the above linked article.

Mar 26, 2024 9:27 AM in response to cabngirl

Besides the great advice given so far...

In Disk Utility>View, select Show all Devices, highlight the top left entry.

Run Disk First Aid on every listing on the left.

APFS won't work for Sierra or earlier, Sierra or earlier needs MacOS Extended Journaled. High Sierra won't work for APFS on earlier Macs.

If all else fails...

https://mrmacintosh.com/how-to-fix-the-recovery-server-could-not-be-contacted-error-high-sierra-recovery-is-still-online-but-broken/

Use http:// instead of https://

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouNQS36dIBw&t=95s

The formula for caos: APFS+macOS High+EFI… - Apple Community

MacOS High Sierra Problem - Apple Community

Mar 27, 2024 4:35 PM in response to cabngirl

Your screenshots with the error "This copy of the 'Install macOS' application is too old to be opened on this version of macOS" are indicating you are attempting to run the High Sierra installer within macOS which you should not do because it cannot be done for the reason listed in the error message. Just quit the installer if it launched automatically after downloading it. Then follow the instructions to create a bootable macOS USB installer which involves using the command line within the Terminal app.

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Mar 27, 2024 12:33 AM in response to BDAqua

RE the recovery server issue- I don't think that's one of mine.(?) My issue (of late) is with my iMac, (running Catalina OS - which I'm on now), failing to respond to any key commands on startup-- it just keeps brining up the login pane. I tried shutting down holding the power button>commands on start, unplugging the power/waiting etc...have run disc repair numerous times, tried nearly every command combo, except maybe diagnostic mode, and none work. The previous round of problems I had with the failing external SATA drive (using a usb adapter) on which I have been running High Sierra, before these other travails with the OS install, I was eventually able to get the disc option and recovery modes to activate. It took multiple tries sometimes and interim running of the disc repair (which was how I revived the SATA which has now finally evidently really crossed the rainbow bridge for keeps). I'm trying not to get too scrambled in my objectives, and prioritizing the High Sierra thing because I really need to use an older app on a project. At this point, I figured I may have to re-install Catalina on this iMac next to resolve the startup command thing. But I was anxious about burning any bridges while I'm still working on the other.

Mar 27, 2024 2:53 PM in response to BDAqua

All wired except mouse. I googled the error and found an old thread on hear in which HWTech responded mentioning that there was a known bug and suggested to that person they download an older version then update to High Sierra. I attempted this last night- and was successful downloading the earlier version installer (I think I tried Sierra) and got to the point of install/opening the package, but hit yet another snarl; when opening the package skips over the select-destination and jumps to install (on my computer) not giving me the choice of other drives. I tried a few times, same result.

Problem trying to install macOS High Sierra on external drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.