Moving my iTunes data

I have three separate music collections and I would like to make them one. One was on my iMac. To add the other two, I had to put my music on a portable hard drive 12 TB. I followed the Apple help instructions for moving my existing library to the portable hard drive, and that worked. When I imported a second collection of music, it worked fine, but a couple of days later, the new import was gone and I only see the original library. Does this indicate I did something wrong? The portable hard drive is connected directly to my iMac, and both is always powered up, although I reboot the iMac from time to time. When I did so, my latest import was gone and I was back to my original library/collection.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 2, 2023 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2023 12:33 PM

Coach,

Just to be clear, are you importing those files so as to make one single library? if so, do them in smaller batches.

iTunes/Music is famous for choking when you do too many files at once. You may need a little trial and error to figure out what size batch is acceptable. Once you verify that the batch has processed into the library, do another batch.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2023 12:33 PM in response to Coach1958

Coach,

Just to be clear, are you importing those files so as to make one single library? if so, do them in smaller batches.

iTunes/Music is famous for choking when you do too many files at once. You may need a little trial and error to figure out what size batch is acceptable. Once you verify that the batch has processed into the library, do another batch.

May 2, 2023 4:21 PM in response to Coach1958

Coach,

Those instructions tell you where it will place any new additions to the library. (Notice the "from now on..." bit.) It doesn't move anything unless you continue to the "Consolidate" step.

If you want to continue to have multiple libraries, you can do an Option-Start each time, and tell it which library you wish to use for this session. Details can be found here: Use multiple libraries in Music on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Or, if you want to create one big library, pick the one you want to start with. Then find any files that are not already in that library, and add them in. See details here: Import music from a computer to Music on Mac

Import music from a computer to Music on Mac - Apple Support

For any of the above, pls make sure you have a decent backup before moving things around. It is unfortunately very easy to mess things up!

May 2, 2023 2:04 PM in response to Coach1958

Coach,

Not sure which Apple help instructions you followed, but it sounds like you moved that library to a new location, which is different from adding its contents to another library.

Also, when you reboot the computer, you may be changing the drive letter of the external, which will cause iTunes to lose it.

Moving my iTunes data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.