iPhone 5se not recording walking speed

I've never been able to get my iPhone 5se to display my walking speed even though my operating system was recently updated to iOS 15.75 . Per the prompt in the walking speed view, my "wheel chair" status has been set to "NO." The machine counts my steps and projects the number of miles I have walked, but it doesn't show anything as providing data for walking speed. Is this still a iPhone7 legacy issue?

iPhone SE, iOS 15

Posted on May 2, 2023 10:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2023 12:08 AM

WindsurferLA Said:

"iPhone 5se not recording walking speed:

———-

My iPhone 5s was updated to iOS 15.7.5 a few days ago using iTunes on a computer, and phone now says, "iOS is up to date." Hence iOS 16 may not be available for iPhone 5se

———-

Updating an iPhone 5s Past iOS 15:

You can't. See here: Update your iPhone or iPad Software if you're Experiencing Issues with Location, Date, and Time - Apple Support. And, for the note, even if you could update, only the latest version will install.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2023 12:08 AM in response to WindsurferLA

WindsurferLA Said:

"iPhone 5se not recording walking speed:

———-

My iPhone 5s was updated to iOS 15.7.5 a few days ago using iTunes on a computer, and phone now says, "iOS is up to date." Hence iOS 16 may not be available for iPhone 5se

———-

Updating an iPhone 5s Past iOS 15:

You can't. See here: Update your iPhone or iPad Software if you're Experiencing Issues with Location, Date, and Time - Apple Support. And, for the note, even if you could update, only the latest version will install.

May 2, 2023 11:12 PM in response to WindsurferLA

WindsurferLA Said:

"iPhone 5se not recording walking speed: I've never been able to get my iPhone 5se to display my walking speed even though my operating system was recently updated to iOS 15.75 .[...]"

-------

Update your iPhone to iOS16.4:

Updating may fix a few things...

Update Using a Computer:

Have a Computer Handy? If so, try using a computer to update. Go here: Update your iPhone Using a Computer - User Tip. If any updates are availabe, they will install, sure enough.

May 4, 2023 11:12 PM in response to TheLittles

My iPhone 5s was updated to iOS 15.7.5 a few days ago using iTunes on a computer, and phone now says, "iOS is up to date." Hence iOS 16 may not be available for iPhone 5se.

My understanding is that the 5s is in many ways like the iPhone7, and there are reports iPhone7 has trouble indicating walking speed. In the "about walking speed" screen, it says that "walking speed is not recorded if your wheelchair status is set to ON" .. That message suggests the failure to show walking speed data is linked to wheelchair status. My wheelchair status is set to OFF. Moreover, I've toggled it back and forth without observing and impact on walking speed data. As best I can tell, I'll have to manually compute my walking speed.

iPhone 5se not recording walking speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.