blocking emails

How do I block emails on my iMac?

I know to right click the email address on the incoming mail message then select "Block Contact". This does not delete the email or move it to Junk, nor does it stop another message from the same sender coming into the mailbox the next day. It just comes in with the little red slash/circle saying " message was sent from a Blocked Sender".

Is this how it is supposed to work? Other mail services don't work this way. Same issue exists on iPhones.

I am on Monterey 12.6.5 mail mail provider is Comcast.

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on May 3, 2023 8:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2023 8:15 AM

Thank you for the link. My Mail--> Junk Mail preferences were set to "Leave Blocked items in my Inbox", which I have now changed.

There are advanced custom settings as well for Junk Mail behavior in Monterey 12.6.5.

Thanks again.

3 replies

May 5, 2023 3:15 PM in response to Florida Mike

Hello Florida Mike,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, you are having an issue with the behavior of blocked contacts in the Mail app on your iMac. Here's what it says in the Apple resource on this:

"You can also add senders directly to the list of blocked senders. Choose Mail > Preferences, click Junk Mail, then click Blocked."

And that is from here: Block or unblock senders in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

If you can update your Mac, there are even more options for blocked contacts: Change Blocked settings in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Here is how to update macOS: Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

Here's how to check if your iMac can update to macOS Ventura: macOS Ventura is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

Cheers!

blocking emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.