My USB SuperDrive does not accept to eject a CD

My USB SuperDrive does not accept to eject a cd that it cannot mount (thus invisible on the desktop)

I tried several actions without success:

1) eject via disk utility. In that case, I must wait several minutes before SuperDrive is visible. Impossible to eject the CD by clicking in disk utility (neither on the left bar nor in the menu). I can see the title of the cd in disk utility ! That's all.

2) eject by reboot + mouse click.

Any possibility to eject it mechanically or find a magical trick ?

SuperDrive was working fine a few minutes ago as I was replaying CDs and DVDs to check their contents against the label... The last one had no label...

Thanks for Help

MacBook Pro 15″, 12.6

Posted on May 4, 2023 3:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2023 4:44 PM

You're welcome, sorry there was nothing new to you there.

I did read a suggestion that to raise the angle of the Superdrive so the slot is pointing downward while ejecting a disk may sometimes help free a stuck disk, but I don't know if that could help in your case.

The only other way seems to be in using the terminal app to enter an eject command, although that's not something I know pr use myself.

Here's a rather old discussion thread with the command ... may need checking to see if newer computers need a different command though.

(Maybe some-one out there in the Community has the up-to-date know how ?)

Is there a Terminal command to eject disk? - Apple Community

This 2020 article is using similar commands but for earlier MacOS's

https://www.lifewire.com/use-terminal-to-eject-stuck-cd-dvd-2260864

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2023 4:44 PM in response to GerCof

You're welcome, sorry there was nothing new to you there.

I did read a suggestion that to raise the angle of the Superdrive so the slot is pointing downward while ejecting a disk may sometimes help free a stuck disk, but I don't know if that could help in your case.

The only other way seems to be in using the terminal app to enter an eject command, although that's not something I know pr use myself.

Here's a rather old discussion thread with the command ... may need checking to see if newer computers need a different command though.

(Maybe some-one out there in the Community has the up-to-date know how ?)

Is there a Terminal command to eject disk? - Apple Community

This 2020 article is using similar commands but for earlier MacOS's

https://www.lifewire.com/use-terminal-to-eject-stuck-cd-dvd-2260864

May 4, 2023 6:23 PM in response to GerCof

Hi GerCof,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Another way to eject CD: Try the keyboard shortcut: Press Command-E

Apple support's article:

Eject CDs and DVDs from your Mac – Apple Support

says:

"If a CD or DVD won’t eject from an optical drive

Try any of the following:

• If an app is using the CD or DVD: Quit the app, then try to eject the disc again.
    • If you can’t quit the app that’s using the CD or DVD: Close the file that is on the disc you want to eject, then try to eject it again.
    • If another user is using the CD or DVD: Log out the users who are using the disc, then try to eject it again.
    • If you can’t log out a user: Log in as that user, then try to eject the disc again. 
    • If you can restart your computer to eject the disc: Choose Apple menu  > Restart, then click Restart while pressing and holding the mouse or trackpad button until the disc is ejected. You can also hold the Option key while restarting your Mac. When you see your CD or DVD appear on the screen, select it, then press the Eject key."

All the best :-)

May 8, 2023 7:56 AM in response to brbo

Since I couldn't fix the problem myself, I went to the closest Apple Store and a technician managed to eject my CD. He explained to me that he had to do several "Cmd + R" and at each restart use the disk utility until the CD ejects...

I was probably not persistent enough, not repeating each recipe many times.

Thanks again

My USB SuperDrive does not accept to eject a CD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.