Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Unusual hot temperature on 14 pro max

I have updated the phone to the latest IOS. Not using it to play games or any power consumption apps in the background but the temperature of the phone is quite hot from the top left part of the phone. Anyone with similar experience? Thanks

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on May 4, 2023 8:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2023 1:06 AM

I too had a similar issue few months ago on my iPhone 12 Pro bought two years ago from Apple Store in the USA.

What I did is given below

1. Took a backup on iCloud (Which I do regularly)
  2. Logged out of the Apple ID
  3. Erase --> Erase iPhone - Apple Support (IN)
    1. Keep eSIM Data was the option I chose (See the pic)
    2. .
  4. Set up my iPhone and restored it from iCloud Backup

I continued to have the same issue with the heating.

I repeated the above steps but this time I did not restore from the iCloud Backup. I set it up as a new iPhone.

Waited... There is no heating issue.

Conclusion.:

• This does not suggest any hardware issue!
  • This is also not an iOS issue
  • Some Apps or iPhone storage maybe heating up the device.
  • This is not the iPhone Cover or Charging able issue as I had used the same cover and cable while doing both the above processes

Action Plan:

• I will now slowly get my all data back one by one.
  • Using the elimination process I will try to find out which app or settings were causing this...

It has been many months since then I have got back 70% of my apps and the heating issue has not returned. Probably the rogue apps were not used now.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2023 1:06 AM in response to JasonSAW

I too had a similar issue few months ago on my iPhone 12 Pro bought two years ago from Apple Store in the USA.

What I did is given below

1. Took a backup on iCloud (Which I do regularly)
  2. Logged out of the Apple ID
  3. Erase --> Erase iPhone - Apple Support (IN)
    1. Keep eSIM Data was the option I chose (See the pic)
    2. .
  4. Set up my iPhone and restored it from iCloud Backup

I continued to have the same issue with the heating.

I repeated the above steps but this time I did not restore from the iCloud Backup. I set it up as a new iPhone.

Waited... There is no heating issue.

Conclusion.:

• This does not suggest any hardware issue!
  • This is also not an iOS issue
  • Some Apps or iPhone storage maybe heating up the device.
  • This is not the iPhone Cover or Charging able issue as I had used the same cover and cable while doing both the above processes

Action Plan:

• I will now slowly get my all data back one by one.
  • Using the elimination process I will try to find out which app or settings were causing this...

It has been many months since then I have got back 70% of my apps and the heating issue has not returned. Probably the rogue apps were not used now.

Unusual hot temperature on 14 pro max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.