I can’t close a tab in safari

On my MacBook Pro I had safari with a lot of tabs open for work, went to close them out at the end of the day but one page containing a pdf just won’t close. It doesn’t even give the option to close.

I tried closing out the app entirely, shutting down the MacBook and restarting, turned all extensions on and off again, don’t know what to do anymore.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Posted on May 5, 2023 2:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2023 10:45 AM

If you are able to quit Safari normally, do that. Then, press and hold a Shift key when launching Safari from Applications or the Dock. That action causes Safari to open with no previously opened windows or tabs.

If you are unable to quit Safari normally, force it to quit: How to force an app to quit on your Mac - Apple Support. Then try the Shift key technique.

Release the Shift key when Safari opens.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2023 10:45 AM in response to JVS98

If you are able to quit Safari normally, do that. Then, press and hold a Shift key when launching Safari from Applications or the Dock. That action causes Safari to open with no previously opened windows or tabs.

If you are unable to quit Safari normally, force it to quit: How to force an app to quit on your Mac - Apple Support. Then try the Shift key technique.

Release the Shift key when Safari opens.

Dec 13, 2023 8:30 AM in response to JVS98

There used to be an X in the upper left had corner that is missing. When you closed the last tab in other OS's it would replace mine with my Favorites page. This is no longer the case. However, If you right click on it and choose close tab and will close and display favorites page. It's the only way I've found to close the last tab.

I can’t close a tab in safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.