Phone not receiving text from one person

I am not receiving messages from 2 people on my phone and have done everything possible. Any ideas?

iPhone 11

Posted on May 5, 2023 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2023 6:13 PM

I have been reviewing support articles from other users with similar problems, but there was not much feedback for a resolution. Here are some suggestions that I did find:

• Make sure MMS Messaging is turned on at Settings > Messages.
  • Make sure Group Messaging is turned on at Setting > Messages.
  • Force restart phone. Force restart iPhone - Apple Support
  • Check if number was accidentally blocked at Setting > Messages > Blocked Contacts.
  • Check if a Carrier Update is available by going to Settings > General > About. A prompt will come up to Update Carrier settings if available. If no prompt comes up, you are up to date.
  • Make sure Cellular Data is turned on at Settings > Cellular.
  • Force quit Messages and relaunch. Close an app on your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

In regards to the photo of the conversation, it shows 2 other people are in the group chat. Are you either RS or KB? Just wondering if you left the group chat or another user removed you. I included the support articles for leaving and adding people to group chats just for a quick reference, but you are probably already familiar with them.

Leave a group text message thread on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Add and remove people in group text messages on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

This must be very frustrating, hoping a solution will be found.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2023 6:13 PM in response to flitter 721

I have been reviewing support articles from other users with similar problems, but there was not much feedback for a resolution. Here are some suggestions that I did find:

• Make sure MMS Messaging is turned on at Settings > Messages.
  • Make sure Group Messaging is turned on at Setting > Messages.
  • Force restart phone. Force restart iPhone - Apple Support
  • Check if number was accidentally blocked at Setting > Messages > Blocked Contacts.
  • Check if a Carrier Update is available by going to Settings > General > About. A prompt will come up to Update Carrier settings if available. If no prompt comes up, you are up to date.
  • Make sure Cellular Data is turned on at Settings > Cellular.
  • Force quit Messages and relaunch. Close an app on your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

In regards to the photo of the conversation, it shows 2 other people are in the group chat. Are you either RS or KB? Just wondering if you left the group chat or another user removed you. I included the support articles for leaving and adding people to group chats just for a quick reference, but you are probably already familiar with them.

Leave a group text message thread on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Add and remove people in group text messages on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

This must be very frustrating, hoping a solution will be found.

May 6, 2023 7:51 AM in response to flitter 721

Are you able to isolate if it is an iMessage with blue bubble or SMS with green bubble? I'm assuming you are using iMessage and have it on in settings.

I wonder if the person who you do not see the message from has the "Send as SMS" shut off and in a group chat scenario with another person that has an Android phone would change the group chat to SMS. Although in this situation, you would not be the only one not seeing their messages.

To confirm, you do have the setting to start a new conversation to use your phone number, not your Apple ID?

Phone not receiving text from one person

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.