Why can't I use "Hey Siri" on Mac mini?

Why can't I use "Hey Siri" on M1 Mac mini 2020?

Mac mini (M1, 2020)

Posted on May 5, 2023 2:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2023 6:31 PM

Siri needs a device for audio input in order to 'listen'.

The 2020 M1 Mac mini does not have a built-in microphone, nor a separate mic input.

The 2020 M1 Mac mini 3.5mm audio jack is output only (headphones).

Mac mini (M1, 2020) - Technical specifications

Connecting a Studio Display via a Thunderbolt port works, because the Studio Display contains multiple studio-quality microphones.

Set up and use Apple Studio Display - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2023 6:31 PM in response to totallyrandom

Siri needs a device for audio input in order to 'listen'.

The 2020 M1 Mac mini does not have a built-in microphone, nor a separate mic input.

The 2020 M1 Mac mini 3.5mm audio jack is output only (headphones).

Mac mini (M1, 2020) - Technical specifications

Connecting a Studio Display via a Thunderbolt port works, because the Studio Display contains multiple studio-quality microphones.

Set up and use Apple Studio Display - Apple Support

May 7, 2023 5:42 PM in response to kostby

Thank you so much! I see now the main difference between the Mac Mini and the others. But the software seems to support it - Ventura supports "Hey Siri" on my laptop. I have a microphone running into my Mac mini via USB. Dictation works - I'm using it right now! So why not "Hey Siri"? Does "Hey Siri" need some sort of special hardware? Something that exists in the Studio Display and the other compatible devices, but not in the Mac Mini?

And, I guess, is there some way to trick the OS into thinking the microphone signal is coming from a Studio Display?

Aug 26, 2023 11:00 AM in response to totallyrandom

"Hey Siri" specifically relies on an always on microphone as well, it also needs to take care the identification of the user stays anonymous, this is handled by the Secure Enclave which is a part of the A series chips on the phones, M series chips on the Mac. Hence connecting an external mic may not work for Hey Siri.

This is one of the reasons why the Studio display has an A series chip in it.

Why can't I use "Hey Siri" on Mac mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.