Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Earthquake alert

Yesterday we had an earthquake, my android phone warned about the earthquake 5-7 seconds before it hit my neighbourhood which helped me to take proper precaution, the whole time my iPhone was silent, why iOS doesn’t have earthquake alert system!? We need it badly, Apple do you hear me?

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on May 5, 2023 11:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2023 5:53 AM

These are communities supported by fellow users and support staff assigned to the Apple hosting team. Otherwise, Apple is not here, nor are the product teams participating here.

You can send a feature request directly to the iPhone product team.

Seismologists still struggle with earthquake prediction, much less a standardized international early warning system from which Apple could roll out support in a phone.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2023 5:53 AM in response to nusrat166bd

These are communities supported by fellow users and support staff assigned to the Apple hosting team. Otherwise, Apple is not here, nor are the product teams participating here.

You can send a feature request directly to the iPhone product team.

Seismologists still struggle with earthquake prediction, much less a standardized international early warning system from which Apple could roll out support in a phone.

May 6, 2023 8:25 AM in response to nusrat166bd

Earthquake notifications are typically add-on apps and regional in nature, or potentially via government notifications, and again these can be regional.

These are not forecasting apps, but are based on a network of sensors detecting an earthquake at some distance, and exploiting the difference in propagation times of the shaking and of the networks and notifications.

Either, neither, or both of these paths can potentially be available, depending on your particular location.

If you are located in the US states California, Oregon, and Washington, see the MyShake app. This app is part of the USGS MyShake project.

¿Para México, tal vez el app de SASSLA? Hay otros.

It would be be interesting to see if Apple could automate detection more widely using iPhone and iPad and presumably a whole lot of machine learning, but that is not available. If it is even possible. And mis-detections are bad.

In any case, send your suggestion to Apple: Product Feedback - Apple

Also send feedback to your elected representatives, as they control funding for these sorts of projects.

Earthquake alert

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.