macmini displayport does not work

I am using a MacMini 2018 running Ventura 13.3.1. It is connected via a USB-C to display port cable to an ASUS ProArt PA32UCX-K. When I turn on the MacMini, more often than not the screen stays dark. When that happens the only way to the the MacMini to display anything on the screen is to shut it off (by long press of the power button) and then restarting it. It then boots into recovery mode and I can manually restart it.

It seems to me that the cable is ok, otherwise the screen would not be visible in recovery mode and thereafter.

Grateful for any hints what might be wrong.

Thanks

Mac mini (2018)

Posted on May 6, 2023 6:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2023 7:11 AM

1) Try moving the USB-C to DisplayPort cable to another port on the back of the 2018 Mac mini.

spread out your external drive and display loads between Bus 1 and Bus 0

2) Not all USB-C to DisplayPort cables are the same. You may need to upgrade to a 1.4 8K cable.

for example: > https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B3XNZGS/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?

3) Switch to using a short High Quality Premium Certified HDMI cable.

for example: > https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BMLDCWVV/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2023 7:11 AM in response to rudolffischer

1) Try moving the USB-C to DisplayPort cable to another port on the back of the 2018 Mac mini.

spread out your external drive and display loads between Bus 1 and Bus 0

2) Not all USB-C to DisplayPort cables are the same. You may need to upgrade to a 1.4 8K cable.

for example: > https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B3XNZGS/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?

3) Switch to using a short High Quality Premium Certified HDMI cable.

for example: > https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BMLDCWVV/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?

May 7, 2023 1:56 PM in response to den.thed

Reading through some more threads I found the following to work with all of my existing cables:

• Power on the MacMini. The screen will stay black
  • Press Ctrl+Cmd+Eject on the keyboard. The MacMini will reboot
  • The apple will appear on the screen and I can log in normally, as with any reboot

For me this workaround is sufficient.

Thanks a lot to everyone for bearing with me.

May 7, 2023 5:50 AM in response to rudolffischer

Thanks guys.

I had the 2 USB HDs on Bus 1 and the USB-C display port cable on Bus 2.

I have now tried HDMI and I am getting the same result (no picture on screen).

If I blindly type the password a while after turning on the MacMini, the screen turns on and I get the Home Screen. If I restart the MacMini, everything works fine.

This would mean the cable is not the issue. I suspect a compatibility issue between the MacMini and the ASUS ProArt PA32UCX-K. The MacMini does not seem to see the ASUS ProArt PA32UCX-K until it is fully booted and logged in. After that it does not lose the connection to the monitor (when I reboot).

I have also opened a ticket with ASUS on this.

May 7, 2023 10:48 AM in response to rudolffischer

I’m recommending a shorter cable because longer cables don’t work very well with Macs. Whatever the problem is, it’s less likely to occur with the right cable. That said, the short cable was mentioned in @den.thed’s response. Needless to say, buy only if a no-questions return comes automatically with it, otherwise don’t. Good luck!

May 7, 2023 11:04 AM in response to rudolffischer

rudolffischer wrote:

Thanks guys.
I had the 2 USB HDs on Bus 1 and the USB-C display port cable on Bus 2.
I have now tried HDMI and I am getting the same result (no picture on screen).
If I blindly type the password a while after turning on the MacMini, the screen turns on and I get the Home Screen. If I restart the MacMini, everything works fine.
This would mean the cable is not the issue. I suspect a compatibility issue between the MacMini and the ASUS ProArt PA32UCX-K. The MacMini does not seem to see the ASUS ProArt PA32UCX-K until it is fully booted and logged in. After that it does not lose the connection to the monitor (when I reboot).
I have also opened a ticket with ASUS on this.

One way to prove if it is a compatibility issue between the Mac mini and ASUS Display is to test the Mac mini connected to a different Display or HDMI TV.

May 7, 2023 11:49 AM in response to hcsitas

I didn't mean the USB-C to Displayport cable I have, but a better one, such as the one mentioned in this thread:

This thread seems to suggest the Cable Matters cable as working properly

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2018-mac-mini-usb-c-to-display-port-cable.2278174/

Look, I am trying to figure out whether USB-C to Displayport has a better chance of working than HDMI. Once I have some clarity on this, then the question is which cable specifically to chose.

So far from the two threads it seems USB-C to Displayport is more likely to work than HDMI and the Cable Matters 201036-BLK-1m has worked for others.

If this reasoning is faulty, I am happy to learn.

macmini displayport does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.