Apple Studio Display shows black screen on start

Apple Studio Display shows black screen on start up after updating to firmware 16.4 (Build 20E246)

I updated my Mac Studio to Ventura 13.3, and my Studio Display to firmware version 16.4 (Build 20E246).

Since doing so, upon starting up the Mac Studio, the Studio Display powers on, but shows a perpetual black screen. The "fix" is to unplug the USB-C cable in the back of the Studio Display, and plug it back in. Then the display works. Is there a way to more permanently fix this issue so that removing the USB cable isn't necessary each time I boot up the Mac Studio? Thanks.

Posted on May 8, 2023 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2023 7:47 AM

I've had the same problem for the past 2 month. Using 2 external viewsonic USB-C monitors. The primary is the one that will go black several times (not the secondary). I have swap the monitors (and cords) and the same thing happens. Spouse with similar Mac Studio is have the same problem with a single monitor.

Mac Studio (2022)

Monterey 12.6.6

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2023 7:47 AM in response to Decolombia

I've had the same problem for the past 2 month. Using 2 external viewsonic USB-C monitors. The primary is the one that will go black several times (not the secondary). I have swap the monitors (and cords) and the same thing happens. Spouse with similar Mac Studio is have the same problem with a single monitor.

Mac Studio (2022)

Monterey 12.6.6

Apple Studio Display shows black screen on start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.