Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Notifications delay on social media apps over Wifi

I’m facing a strange issue in my iPhone 13.

I’m not able to get notifications on time when I’m on wifi. They delayed like for 5-10 mins or sometimes untill i open the app and when i turn on data it works very fine and i got all messages at time . Can someone help me to get out from this ?

Thankyou

Posted on May 7, 2023 11:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2023 9:45 AM

Flashhunter00 wrote:

What ? Why ? And from when ? As i was an iPhone X user i didn’t faced such issue. Weather on wifi or on cellular i got instant notification from all apps but I’m having a huge delay of 2-10mins in receiving notifications of wifi here,
I can’t understand why cellular is even needed ?

From forever, since the beginning of iPhone time. You always faced such an issue, even if you don’t remember it. There is no way to “push” notifications from a server over Wi-Fi; the only way to push, for email or notifications, is using the SS7 cellular signaling channel. There is no other way to wake up a phone or an app on a phone. If you have cellular off completely the phone will periodically poll to checkfor notifications over Wi-Fi if the phone is unlocked, but it is not continuous. And when the screen locks Wi-Fi turns off 30 seconds later, so without a cellular connection the phone cannot receive anything while locked.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2023 9:45 AM in response to Flashhunter00

Flashhunter00 wrote:

What ? Why ? And from when ? As i was an iPhone X user i didn’t faced such issue. Weather on wifi or on cellular i got instant notification from all apps but I’m having a huge delay of 2-10mins in receiving notifications of wifi here,
I can’t understand why cellular is even needed ?

From forever, since the beginning of iPhone time. You always faced such an issue, even if you don’t remember it. There is no way to “push” notifications from a server over Wi-Fi; the only way to push, for email or notifications, is using the SS7 cellular signaling channel. There is no other way to wake up a phone or an app on a phone. If you have cellular off completely the phone will periodically poll to checkfor notifications over Wi-Fi if the phone is unlocked, but it is not continuous. And when the screen locks Wi-Fi turns off 30 seconds later, so without a cellular connection the phone cannot receive anything while locked.

May 10, 2023 1:52 PM in response to Flashhunter00

Hello Flashhunter00,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. We’d like to help out and recommend some steps to help troubleshoot this delay in your nonfictions. Specifically when using social media apps. Let’s start off by following the recommended steps below. 

1.) Restart your iPhone. This usually helps refresh things: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

2.) Since this issue mainly occurs while connected to your Wi-Fi, try restarting your Wi-Fi network and also use the recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

3.) If that doesn't help, try deleting and reinstalling the affected social media apps.

*Delete apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

*Redownload apps and games from Apple - Apple Support

We hope these steps help you out. Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Take care.

Notifications delay on social media apps over Wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.