MacBook battery: Keep plugged in or not ? MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016)

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016)

I own a macbook 2016 laptop (not macbook air nor macbook pro) its just a macbook. I would like to ask if there is any harm that can happen to my battery if I leave it connected and charged for a whole day (using it like a desktop) ? If charging cycle count is the main factor in battery lifespan it would seem that keeping the computer connected to the charger would be a good thing.

Posted on May 8, 2023 2:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2023 3:28 AM

BlessingChess wrote:

I own a macbook 2016 laptop (not macbook air nor macbook pro) its just a macbook. I would like to ask if there is any harm that can happen to my battery if I leave it connected and charged for a whole day (using it like a desktop) ?

No.

If charging cycle count is the main factor in battery lifespan it would seem that keeping the computer connected to the charger would be a good thing.

Battery cycle count is not the main factor in battery lifespan though. If you were to discharge it and leave it in that discharged state for a long time (a year, perhaps) it will almost certainly need replacement. Zero cycles.

Read Get help with your Mac laptop battery - Apple Support. It has been my experience that the less one obsesses about Mac batteries, the longer they last. That observation is farthest thing from an experiment resembling any scientific method, yet it seems to be true.

Just use your Mac with the knowledge that batteries are consumable wear items that will need eventual replacement. If your 2016 MacBook battery is still working well in 2023 you are probably doing everything right, so keep doing it.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2023 3:28 AM in response to BlessingChess

BlessingChess wrote:

I own a macbook 2016 laptop (not macbook air nor macbook pro) its just a macbook. I would like to ask if there is any harm that can happen to my battery if I leave it connected and charged for a whole day (using it like a desktop) ?

No.

If charging cycle count is the main factor in battery lifespan it would seem that keeping the computer connected to the charger would be a good thing.

Battery cycle count is not the main factor in battery lifespan though. If you were to discharge it and leave it in that discharged state for a long time (a year, perhaps) it will almost certainly need replacement. Zero cycles.

Read Get help with your Mac laptop battery - Apple Support. It has been my experience that the less one obsesses about Mac batteries, the longer they last. That observation is farthest thing from an experiment resembling any scientific method, yet it seems to be true.

Just use your Mac with the knowledge that batteries are consumable wear items that will need eventual replacement. If your 2016 MacBook battery is still working well in 2023 you are probably doing everything right, so keep doing it.

MacBook battery: Keep plugged in or not ? MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.