Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Iphone text messages now green

my girlfriend and i both have iphones and for some reason since this morning my text messages have sent as sms instead of imessage, and now theyre green. I first texted good morning but i didnt have a good connection at the time so i opted to send as a text message. Now, though, i have a stable connection and my imessage is turned on but my messages still send as green. The delivered indicator also doesnt show. Anybody know how to help?

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on May 8, 2023 5:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2023 11:13 PM

Hi roame,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: "Iphone text messages now green"

wondering if you have the latest iOS version on your iPhone:

(About iOS 16 Updates - Apple Support says iOS 16.4.1 is the latest.)

or

You might want to try restarting your iPhone, which often restores normality: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

Re: "my messages still send as green.

The delivered indicator also doesnt show.

Anybody know how to help?"

Apple support's online article may help:

What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS? – Apple Support 

Generally, Messages uses wi-fi to send (blue-bubble) messages to and from Apple users, (and to indicate delivery, if set to show).

If wi-fi is not available messages go by cellular data, if it is turned on.

So you may need to check your wi-fi is on and working ok.

Connect to Wi-Fi on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

or

If your iPhone or iPad won't connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

Else:

If you are using other wi-fi apps while messaging, the messages may need to use cellular instead of the wi-fi which is already in use elsewhere (ie: depending on the strength of your wi-fi signal which may (or may not) be quite adequate for both apps).

Seems SMS & MMS to Android users use cellular data (green message bubbles): and charges from your provider may or may not apply.

Apple support have an article online to help with turning cellular on or off: How to: Use cellular data on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Eg: article above also says:

"If activated, Wi-Fi Assist automatically switches to use cellular data when Wi-Fi connectivity is poor. Wi-Fi Assist is on by default."

More Info: About Wi-Fi Assist – Apple Support 

Eg: says:

"Wi-Fi Assist only works when you have apps running in the foreground and doesn't activate with background downloading of content".

More info. / support / if needed:

Messages Support website:

Messages for iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and Mac — Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2023 11:13 PM in response to roame

Hi roame,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: "Iphone text messages now green"

wondering if you have the latest iOS version on your iPhone:

(About iOS 16 Updates - Apple Support says iOS 16.4.1 is the latest.)

or

You might want to try restarting your iPhone, which often restores normality: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

Re: "my messages still send as green.

The delivered indicator also doesnt show.

Anybody know how to help?"

Apple support's online article may help:

What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS? – Apple Support 

Generally, Messages uses wi-fi to send (blue-bubble) messages to and from Apple users, (and to indicate delivery, if set to show).

If wi-fi is not available messages go by cellular data, if it is turned on.

So you may need to check your wi-fi is on and working ok.

Connect to Wi-Fi on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

or

If your iPhone or iPad won't connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

Else:

If you are using other wi-fi apps while messaging, the messages may need to use cellular instead of the wi-fi which is already in use elsewhere (ie: depending on the strength of your wi-fi signal which may (or may not) be quite adequate for both apps).

Seems SMS & MMS to Android users use cellular data (green message bubbles): and charges from your provider may or may not apply.

Apple support have an article online to help with turning cellular on or off: How to: Use cellular data on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Eg: article above also says:

"If activated, Wi-Fi Assist automatically switches to use cellular data when Wi-Fi connectivity is poor. Wi-Fi Assist is on by default."

More Info: About Wi-Fi Assist – Apple Support 

Eg: says:

"Wi-Fi Assist only works when you have apps running in the foreground and doesn't activate with background downloading of content".

More info. / support / if needed:

Messages Support website:

Messages for iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and Mac — Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

Iphone text messages now green

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.