Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Chinese on screen immediately after the auto restart after installing an update

I just installed update 16.4.1 on my iPhone 12 Pro Max. At the end of the auto restart before I could log in Chinese or Korean or similar characters started auto writing on my screen. Why is this? I have NO foreign languages installed, never have. I immediately restarted, but …

Is this some glitch in the software or an app trying to do something or have I been infected with intruder software of some sort?

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on May 8, 2023 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2023 8:37 AM

Yes, this just happened to me with my iPhone 13 iOS 17.1.1 update. Left phone on charge and updating. Came back a couple hours later and odd cloudy animation on screen center no characters yet. Swiped up to get rid of whatever it was and Chinese characters started scrolling across bottom of this odd screen display. I swiped to get out of it and got normal message phone had been updated. I wish now I had grabbed my boyfriend’s phone and videoed this Chinese display before getting rid of it. Concerned it may be spyware.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2023 8:37 AM in response to Rusty-Buckets

Yes, this just happened to me with my iPhone 13 iOS 17.1.1 update. Left phone on charge and updating. Came back a couple hours later and odd cloudy animation on screen center no characters yet. Swiped up to get rid of whatever it was and Chinese characters started scrolling across bottom of this odd screen display. I swiped to get out of it and got normal message phone had been updated. I wish now I had grabbed my boyfriend’s phone and videoed this Chinese display before getting rid of it. Concerned it may be spyware.

Chinese on screen immediately after the auto restart after installing an update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.