Recovery of apple ID

my iphone was stolen and thief changed the password of my apple id. Now when I try to recover my id it is asking 28 digit recovery code which I never set. why does it ask recovery code which I never enabled?

What is wrong with recovery procedure?

iPhone XR, iOS 16

Posted on May 8, 2023 12:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2023 1:59 PM

Read this support article --> How to generate a recovery key - Apple Support

If the thief was able to change your account information, the thief likely also set a recovery key which means features such as account recovery are unfortunately not available to you. Contact Apple and see if they can do anything about this but from what the article says I would not be optimistic.

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support

"This article provides country-specific Apple Support contact information for customers seeking help with their Apple ID password or other security-related issues."

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2023 1:59 PM in response to manthan51

Read this support article --> How to generate a recovery key - Apple Support

If the thief was able to change your account information, the thief likely also set a recovery key which means features such as account recovery are unfortunately not available to you. Contact Apple and see if they can do anything about this but from what the article says I would not be optimistic.

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support

"This article provides country-specific Apple Support contact information for customers seeking help with their Apple ID password or other security-related issues."

Recovery of apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.