AirPods Pro microphone

I have AirPods Pro Gen2 but the microphone is not clear. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem after the latest update, or is there a problem with my AirPods?

AirPods Pro (2nd generation)

Posted on May 8, 2023 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2023 2:39 PM

I had the same problem, here’s what I did to fix it.

———————

Ensure that your AirPods Pro are clean and free from debris. Use a soft, lint-free cloth to wipe them down and check the microphone openings for any obstructions.

———

Update your AirPods firmware and make sure you have the latest software on your connected device (iPhone, iPad, etc.). Firmware updates can sometimes address known issues.

———

Try resetting your AirPods by placing them in their case, opening the lid, and pressing and holding the button on the back of the case until the LED light on the front starts flashing amber. Then, reconnect them to your device and see if the microphone quality improves.

———

Test your AirPods with a different device or phone call to determine if the issue persists across multiple devices. This will help identify whether the problem lies with your AirPods or your device.

———

If the problem continues, consider reaching out to Apple Support for further assistance. They can provide guidance specific to your device and may offer solutions or suggest a replacement if necessary.

———————————-

Hope this helps,

CXDeaks.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2023 2:39 PM in response to A-Abdullatif

I had the same problem, here’s what I did to fix it.

———————

Ensure that your AirPods Pro are clean and free from debris. Use a soft, lint-free cloth to wipe them down and check the microphone openings for any obstructions.

———

Update your AirPods firmware and make sure you have the latest software on your connected device (iPhone, iPad, etc.). Firmware updates can sometimes address known issues.

———

Try resetting your AirPods by placing them in their case, opening the lid, and pressing and holding the button on the back of the case until the LED light on the front starts flashing amber. Then, reconnect them to your device and see if the microphone quality improves.

———

Test your AirPods with a different device or phone call to determine if the issue persists across multiple devices. This will help identify whether the problem lies with your AirPods or your device.

———

If the problem continues, consider reaching out to Apple Support for further assistance. They can provide guidance specific to your device and may offer solutions or suggest a replacement if necessary.

———————————-

Hope this helps,

CXDeaks.

Oct 6, 2023 3:57 PM in response to CXDeaks

These steps unfortunately do not fix the problem for me using the AirPods Pro 2. The mic is intermittently recording poor quality audio. After raising the issue with apple support and going all their recommendations, I got a new replacement pair. The same problem is there. I'm running iOS 17.03, which is the latest at the time of writing. As such it doesn't feel like a hardware problem specific to my AirPods, rather something more fundamental.

As the poor mic performance is evident when recording using the Voice Memo app, my guess the problem is connected with software background noise suppression. It is worth noting that recording a voice memo using my iPhone's mic has great quality, whilst recording with the AirPods Pro 2's mic (in the same environment) is comparably much worse.

I'm keeping my support ticket open until a software fix appears, I encourage anyone with the same problem to do the same.

AirPods Pro microphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.