I need to free up space on my iPad, how can I do that

I need to free up space on my iPad. How can I do that

iPad mini 4, iPadOS 13

Posted on May 8, 2023 7:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2023 7:53 PM

Lunamae2020 Said:

"I need to free up space on my iPad, how can I do that: I need to free up space on my iPad. How can I do that"

-------

Troubleshooting iPad Storage:

Internal storage cannot be upgraded. It is what it is. So, the maximum internal storage capacity never increases, even if you upgraded your iCloud plan. Learn More here: What's the Difference Between Device Storage and iCloud Storage? Apple Support

So, what to do...

Clear Space, Using my User Tips:

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2023 7:53 PM in response to Lunamae2020

Lunamae2020 Said:

"I need to free up space on my iPad, how can I do that: I need to free up space on my iPad. How can I do that"

-------

Troubleshooting iPad Storage:

Internal storage cannot be upgraded. It is what it is. So, the maximum internal storage capacity never increases, even if you upgraded your iCloud plan. Learn More here: What's the Difference Between Device Storage and iCloud Storage? Apple Support

So, what to do...

Clear Space, Using my User Tips:

May 9, 2023 6:17 AM in response to Lunamae2020

System storage includes a lot of cached data. iPadOS16 appears to make more use of available storage for temporary system caches.

Reported System Data (a.k.a. “other data”) can be expected to fluctuate. Your iPad will automatically and optimally manage its available system resources, using available free space to cache data and improve overall performance.

The only element of system storage that you can directly influence is perhaps your browser caches - which you can manually clear if you wish to do so.

For Safari:

Settings > Safari > Clear History & Website Data

For other browsers, you’ll need to find the relevant section of the App settings - which may be within the App itself.

Otherwise, transient system caches can be significantly reduced by performing a forced-restart of your iPad - although caches, by their nature, will again accumulate and be automatically managed by the operating system.

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

Cached system data can also be cleared with a restore. More information about clearing system/other data is outlined here:

Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Otherwise, if you are running-out of internal storage, you might consider subscribing to a higher tier of iCloud storage. While this can provide additional file storage, this is not a substitute for device storage.

Upgrade to iCloud+ - Apple Support

If your internal storage is full, your only option is to better manage the storage that you have - and delete unused Apps or unneeded data. 

These support pages should prove to be helpful:

About storage on your device and in iCloud – Apple Support

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? – Apple Support

Manage your iCloud storage – Apple Support

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

“Offloading” Apps can be a helpful method of creating temporary space for a software update.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/01/21/how-to-offload-apps-in-ios-to-save-space-without-deleting-their-data/

Additional information about creating sufficient space for installation of a software update can be found here:

If you need more space for an update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

External storage options can often help with managing limited internal storage. Depending upon your iPad model, the iPad will either have a Lightning or USB-C port - and may therefore require either an Adapter or USB hub to connect the USB Storage device. If your iPad has a Lightning port, you’ll need an Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter:

• Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MK0W2ZM/A

May 8, 2023 8:58 PM in response to Lunamae2020

It might make sense to clean up what’s in system data. Often it’s stuff that’s not needed but that the operating system doesn’t clear. The only way I know to clean that up is drastic, which is to back up, reset to factory settings, and then recover from a backup. I might see it clear up where there’s 1-2 GB freed up, but it can go down eventually. I mostly do it on my iPhone, but it could make sense for a bower capacity iPad.

I need to free up space on my iPad, how can I do that

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.