Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

setting up replacement iphone 11, it wont accept my passcode. How do I reset it?

I bought a 2nd hand iPhone 11 and was transferring data from my iPhone 7+ to the iPhone 11.

I set up a new passcode.

As the set up continued, it again asked me to enter that passcode to finalize the transfer but now keeps saying the passcode is wrong and it locks the phone.

I tried the old passcode from my iphone 7+ but now iPhone 11 says it is locked for an hour.

How do I reset this?

iPhone 11

Posted on May 8, 2023 9:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2023 10:02 PM

Hi,

It sounds like this may be software related. I would recommend placing the iPhone in recovery mode and reinstalling iOS using a Mac or PC. Afterwards, the iPhone will restart on the Setup Assistant and you can set it up again. It will also be updated to the latest iOS.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2023 10:02 PM in response to lou.szy

Hi,

It sounds like this may be software related. I would recommend placing the iPhone in recovery mode and reinstalling iOS using a Mac or PC. Afterwards, the iPhone will restart on the Setup Assistant and you can set it up again. It will also be updated to the latest iOS.

May 9, 2023 3:49 PM in response to lou.szy

1. Turn it off. Press and hold the side button and the volume up button until you see ‘slide to power off.’
  2. Then, once it’s turned off, plug it into a Mac or PC. As you are plugging it in, press and hold the side button for about a minute or so until you see a computer icon on your iPhone screen. This is recovery mode.
  3. you should see a pop up on your computer that says ‘there was a problem with this iPhone that requires it to be restored’ or something similar; press RESTORE.
  4. On the next pop-up, select Restore and Update.
  5. Leave the iPhone plugged in for the duration of this process, it will tell you when it’s okay to unplug it

setting up replacement iphone 11, it wont accept my passcode. How do I reset it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.