Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Where did my recent photos go after Apple suddenly "curated" them?

All of the sudden none of my photos from 2022 or 2023 are appearing in my photos on my MAC. I'm signed in with the Apple ID I have always used. Two days ago I got a popup message the my photos were "finished curating." I have been using MACs since 2011 and have never seen this message. Coincidentally, the night before my iOS upgraded overnight, but not sure if that has anything to do with it. However, since the laptop rebooted after that "upgrade" none of the photos from the years 2022 or 2023 are showing when I open the Photos app on the MAC. (They are still on my iPhone and iPad.). I clicked on iCloud in the Photos app and all it tells me is "iCloud features for Photos are only available in the System Photo Library." In addition, all of my shared albums are not appearing either. There are no options in the iCloud tab, but I AM signed in. I've never seen this, have not changed anything so I'm befuddled as to what has happened.

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on May 9, 2023 1:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2023 1:46 PM

It appears that your current library is no longer your system library. Did you perhaps copy the library?

You can, create a new library by holding down the option key as you open the photos app.

then, navigate to iCloud settings and make the new library the system library. Anything in iCloud will then sync to the new library.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2023 1:46 PM in response to johepnr

It appears that your current library is no longer your system library. Did you perhaps copy the library?

You can, create a new library by holding down the option key as you open the photos app.

then, navigate to iCloud settings and make the new library the system library. Anything in iCloud will then sync to the new library.

May 9, 2023 1:45 PM in response to johepnr

Where did my recent photos go after Apple suddenly "curated" them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.