Do you really need 2023 MBPro to join WiFi6e

ive got 3 the MX 8500 linksys wifi 6e mesh routers model # MX 8500 ( apple does not support these yet either for Apple Home) very disappointed..

I Have a 2021 M1 Max MBPro 32gb ram 2 tb drive.

is it true i can not use Wi-Fi 6E? is there a get around, software update or app to correct this?? is apple telling me my $4500 new laptop can't get wifi6e?? this is unbelievable. this should be an easy fix for apple.

I read this I believe on Apple Web Site:

"To join a Wi-Fi 6E network, you need one of these Apple devices:

• MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2023) or MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2023)
  • Mac mini (2023)
  • iPad Pro 11-inch (4th generation) or iPad Pro 12.9 inch (6th generation)

To create a Wi-Fi 6E network, you need a Wi-Fi router or access point that supports Wi-Fi 6E and has its 2.4GHz or 5GHz bands also enabled, preferably using a single network name (SSID) across all bands."

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on May 9, 2023 4:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2023 4:57 PM

Use Wi-Fi 6E networks with Apple devices - Apple Support

A software update cannot make a hardware radio use frequencies it was not designed to operate on.

Your Mac can use the WiFi, but unless it is in the list of 6e capable Apple products, as specified in the above link, then it will just use the WiFi frequencies it is designed to use.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2023 4:57 PM in response to bikeman5

Use Wi-Fi 6E networks with Apple devices - Apple Support

A software update cannot make a hardware radio use frequencies it was not designed to operate on.

Your Mac can use the WiFi, but unless it is in the list of 6e capable Apple products, as specified in the above link, then it will just use the WiFi frequencies it is designed to use.

May 9, 2023 5:29 PM in response to bikeman5

Your MacBook Pro can connect to that LinkSys MX8500 Wi-Fi 6E router, can use WPA3 security, and can operate at full IEEE 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6 & 6E) speeds.

Just not in the 6 GHz band.

If you’re in an area where 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands are overrun, this can be a consideration. Otherwise, I’d be hard pressed to notice the difference between 5 GHz and 6 Ghz. I’m in the midst of rolling a network to 6E, too.

And as usual in recent times, IEEE 802.11be / Wi-Fi 7 is expected to arrive next year; in 2024.

Do you really need 2023 MBPro to join WiFi6e

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.